Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water Injection >

Water Injection

Notices

Water Injection

Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water Injection

Whatever happened to water injection? The concept has been around for decades. The technology is absolutely mature and the results are irrefutable. So then, why did it fall out of fashion?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It fell out of fashion because it is too cheap of a set up and guys laugh when you say water ... a few selonoids , a spray bar, a holding tank & fittings & hoses depending on how pretty u want to get . Its easier for these guys to sell u a blower, intercooler , & some pulleys for 5K and done deal for them . i'm sure you've done the research its working and if you want to take it a step further add a meth tank ... 400 ponies
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I know of a few guys using methanol injection. Most people that I know opt for the meth. instead of the water. It does the same job of cooling the charge with the added benefit of upping the octane.None of it is real practical on a true pleasure boat. It can't be beat if you really want to make some big HP.
By the way, I remember helping my dad build one back in the mid 70's, on a 68 Ford truck with a 300 I-6. I was only 5 or 6. I only remember it because it was the first time he really let me help do something with meaning. It worked damn good, and it was an everyday driver. We even used it to tow the race boat all over the country.
Eddie
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
There are a few of us considering Meth injection just for full throttle blasts. Several kits on the market and many ways to build a simple set up. Any of you have insight or have built one?

I'd like it just to prevent potential issues at WOT and our wonderful gas we now try to burn!!!
give John Baker a call at 630-251-8919 he is as sharp as a tack like Chris he has been runnin it for years & years .. I believe when we dynod my last set of motors the water comes in at 4000 rpm and the meth at 5000 temps were way down and hp was thru the roof ... He's puttin mine together now i think you'll like what you here
Old 02-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Man, water injection.... I built a few setups back in the late 70 early 80s.I un replumbed the polution pump those (air pump) those engines had on them right overtop of the carb. I put a "T" in the line and placed a smaller elbow on the "T". I had the elbow oulet flowing toward the carb. the inlet of the elbow was hooked to a water line comeing from a tank of water. The air pump would run when the engine was running the fast the engine ran the faster the air pump ran, the more preasure diferential there was on the outlet of the elbow causing it to suck water outof the tank. I put an orfice on the water pickup line to play with the amount of water untill it seemed "right". It worked pretty good. Ihad about $5 in hardware store fittings in the whole setup. Hey I was only 20 years old.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting stuff
Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Feel free to E mail me or call me we have our meth set ups ready to sell along with complete teck support. We will be advertising on this site very soon. Our system incorporates nozzles into your carb adapter along with a a control box to start injection at any boost level you set it for as well as the proper high end pumps solenoids etc..Our system is designed to run 100% meth not 49 51. We recommend coming in with injection @ 7 to 8 lbs depending on your set up as well as a the ability to set up a progressive feed with the turn of a screw driver if needed with ulta high boost pump gas applications..

The only down side to all the power if there is one, is that the #6 drives are not designed to handle the high hp that can easily be attained with this system for a prolonged period and do take an added beating. We went through another pair of 6s last season and Craig Colabella is currently shaking his head installing all new gears top and bottom..he did ask what the hell are you guys running for power.It really works!
Glen 717-417-2900 or 717-324-7396
Attached Thumbnails Water Injection-109_0982.jpg  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
Feel free to E mail me or call me we have our meth set ups ready to sell along with complete teck support. We will be advertising on this site very soon. Our system incorporates nozzles into your carb adapter along with a a control box to start injection at any boost level you set it for as well as the proper high end pumps solenoids etc..Our system is designed to run 100% meth not 49 51. We recommend coming in with injection @ 7 to 8 lbs depending on your set up as well as a the ability to set up a progressive feed with the turn of a screw driver if needed with ulta high boost pump gas applications..

The only down side to all the power if there is one, is that the #6 drives are not designed to handle the high hp that can easily be attained with this system for a prolonged period and do take an added beating. We went through another pair of 6s last season and Craig Colabella is currently shaking his head installing all new gears top and bottom..he did ask what the hell are you guys running for power.It really works!
Glen 717-417-2900 or 717-324-7396
I have been duing a lot of reading about this stuff and the only downside i can see is the drivetrains cant handle the power these are making....Very very cool stuff...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Will any of this stuff work without a blower?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When we used the systems on the old Banks turbo systems, we took pressure from the manifold and used it to pressurize the holding tank. That made it self-powered and self regulated. 1lb boost pushed a little through the nozzles, 10 pushed alot. Nowadays it looks like you can do it much more precisely- http://www.alcohol-injection.com

If you want to read some of the early tech info written on the concept-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NACA_H2O_2.pdf (545.3 KB, 100 views)

Quick Reply: Water Injection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.