Crane Ignition issues >

Crane Ignition issues

Notices

Crane Ignition issues

Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crane Ignition issues

Well I called Crane Cams and after talking to them I decided to buy a HI-6M (marine) box and one of their new Pro billett distributor (non-marine). After reading the supplied manual paperwork in the boxes I decided to call Crane back and ask how to set up the ignition box settings and distributor settings since they both had micro processors.

Crane then told me that the -6M ignition box and Crane Pro billet distributor cannot be used in the same appication due to the micro processor conflicts.

That leaves me with two options either get a new ignition box (Crane part number #6440, non-marine) or a different distributor, MSD/Mallory. I have heard numerous discrepencies regarding the MSD marine distributor, however I do not know a lot about Mallory's marine distributor.

Has anyone used the none marine Crane ignition box with a none marine distributor? I realize for insurance reasons everything should be marine rated, but it's not a stock motor so the insurance company going to have issues with it anyway.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I used a distributor from Napa for a Chevy pickup which is IDENTICAL to the one used in a '95 502 Mag EFI....

I cut the wires comming from the pickup to the module and ran them out the bottom of the distributor then hooked them to the Crane box... Here's a link to some more info on it....

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...threadid=32552

Doug

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 03-14-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

If you have it, you can use the stock merc distributor. It works as good as any of the aftermarket ones with that ignition since it is only used to distribute the spark. All you have to do is modify the rotor (see instruction manual). The setup works well and the marine box has several settings, including timing curves you can instantly adjust. That 6M box is a nice piece, simple and works well.

Last edited by Todd Hartigh; 03-14-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Todd Hartigh
If you have it, you can use the stock merc distributor. It works as good as any of the aftermarket ones with that ignition since it is only used to distribute the spark. All you have to do is modify the rotor (see instruction manual). The setup works well and the marine box has several settings, including timing curves you can instantly adjust. That 6M box is a nice piece, simple and works well.
My stock mercruiser distributor has over 650 hrs on it and is starting to show some clearence issues on the shaft. I guess I can send it back to get rebuilt but I would rather just but a new one.

CP performance has their Hardin Marine distributor for around $240 or I can get raped and buy a MSD marine for $375.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having no luck finding the Anson retard box that is used on the Crane Hi-6m ignition. Crane is no help - I have a phone number in Scottsdale AZ for anson 480-991-5679, left 10 messages and no return calls.

I want to use the knock retard feature availible with this unit - does any body have a source for another compatable knock sensor ?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

Search it on OSO. There's been alot of discussion about the unit.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have searched recent post - lots of complaints and no answers - for sure Cranes customer service is of no help to myself or the other OSOer's - looks like the Anson company is no longer in biz and left Crane tech guys hanging
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running a mallory unilite, so far I like it..it is very easy to limit the advance amount unlike msd/merc and easy to change the curve as well, the only differnce between their marine is faster advance curve and the blue cap as opposed to the red, Rob
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'm not concrerned with the advance curve, the Crane Hi-6M has a wire/ port that when hooked to the correct knock sensor will retard timing up to 12 degrees - I need the gadget that interfaces a knock sensor