piston wrist pins >

piston wrist pins

Notices

piston wrist pins

Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston wrist pins

Is this something that has to be done at a machione shop with special tools or can I just heat the rods with a torch, press the pins out and replace the pistons?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

most shops only charge around 2 each.I would think it would be hard with a torch

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

They come out cold, and without the proper fixtures you will at the very least destroy the piston.

They can either be pressed in cold (again, fixtures required) or by hand with the rod heated.

Proper way if using heat is rod oven (our current method) , have done it with a oxy/acet torch more than once in a pinch. Trick is knowing how hot, you can ruin everything quickly.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

at $2 a pop sounds like a job for the machine shop.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

I would like to know where you guys live that a machine swap will R & R a set of V-8 pistons for $16 ??????????? I get $80 and its worth every penny. You have to remove the old pistons, clean the rods, check the small ends for the proper interference fit, debur the edges so the new bearings will slide in without getting all scarred up, then install the new pistons. Let them cool a bit and get some lube in the pins. Then bag the box up to keep them clean. Every bit of an hours work, hmmmmmm I probably need to go up to $100

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually pay around $25 for all of the below stated, except for the fancy bags and boxes.

I guess maybe my guys should be raising their rates. ... NOT
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by BillK
I would like to know where you guys live that a machine swap will R & R a set of V-8 pistons for $16 ??????????? I get $80 and its worth every penny. You have to remove the old pistons, clean the rods, check the small ends for the proper interference fit, debur the edges so the new bearings will slide in without getting all scarred up, then install the new pistons. Let them cool a bit and get some lube in the pins. Then bag the box up to keep them clean. Every bit of an hours work, hmmmmmm I probably need to go up to $100

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
I agree with Bill the time it takes to do everything he listed takes about 11/2 to 2 hours the time your done to do it right. There has been a lot of times that you don't get the pin in all the way before it cools then you have to wait for it to cool and try and hope you can get it pressed back off without destroying the piston which usally happens and there goes 80.00. Hanging new pistons on rods without checking for the press fit is like building a engine without checking clearances.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did it this weekend. A-hole tightening experience. Had one hang up on the new piston and fragged a rod end. Worth the money to pay someone!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by kennyo
Did it this weekend. A-hole tightening experience. Had one hang up on the new piston and fragged a rod end. Worth the money to pay someone!

Everybody should try it once to exsperience the fun.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Registered

Let the machine shop do it. Or if you like messing with this stuff, get rods that are bushed for floating pins. Some theorize floating pins are better-lead to less rod breakage. Now I am new to boats and have yet to build an engine for one. But I have built engines with and without floating pins and had prob with neither.