Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Do I need a high torque starter??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/183322-do-i-need-high-torque-starter.html)

jeff1000man 03-31-2008 11:15 AM

Bill, Did you guys Dyno that 496 that you built earlier this year?

Thunderstruck 03-31-2008 11:56 AM

Are you sure you do not have an exhaust manifold leak? This can fill cylinders with water make the motor slow to turn over. Also can do significant damage. Pull the spark plugs and try again.

BY U BOY 03-31-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck (Post 2506479)
Are you sure you do not have an exhaust manifold leak? This can fill cylinders with water make the motor slow to turn over. Also can do significant damage. Pull the spark plugs and try again.

Checked all that before i replaced the batts 2 weeks ago. Im baffeled as to why its doing this. It was fine last summer and when i took it out for the first time this year 2 weeks ago it acted like the batts were dead. Checked all the connection,replaced a few and got new batteries. Still cranked over slow so i pulled spark plugs one at a time and checked for water. None. Timing was reset yesterday with 12* Initial An 20 advance(hei ignition) I am going replace with a High torque this week and see if that fixes the problem,if not then i guess i wil start looking again.

BY U BOY 03-31-2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2506416)

Anyway. I never knew that weed eater engines had electric start. :evilb::evilb:

I'm still faster than you:evilb:

for now

socalstone 03-31-2008 12:35 PM

I've tried both, plus a few rebuilds on the stock starter.
I keep the stock one around in case there's an issue, but really prefer the small, light, (easy to install) high-torque unit.

jeff1000man 03-31-2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2506540)
I'm still faster than you:evilb:

for now

Only because you understeer me and get me out of the hole. I waxed your azz coming out of inland that day.

And don't forget, I had a witness.

BY U BOY 03-31-2008 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2506569)
Only because you understeer me and get me out of the hole. I waxed your azz coming out of inland that day.

And don't forget, I had a witness.

I didn't know we were racing:) I'm going to start calling you Reggie:D
Dont forget i was only running 4k ropm with my timing fu(qed up:D:D

Youll get me in the rough any day with the extra length but give me some 1 to 2' chop and your azz is mine:azo:

BY U BOY 03-31-2008 01:24 PM

:offtopic:

Lets get ack on track here.

Thunderstruck 03-31-2008 03:05 PM

Check the ground on the block? Maybe take a Volt ohmeter and check for ground between the block and the negative battery posts.

jeff1000man 03-31-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2506613)
I didn't know we were racing:) I'm going to start calling you Reggie:D
Dont forget i was only running 4k ropm with my timing fu(qed up:D:D

Youll get me in the rough any day with the extra length but give me some 1 to 2' chop and your azz is mine:azo:

Never. You just keep thinking that and your wife will be backing me cookies instead of you.