Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Do I need a high torque starter??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/183322-do-i-need-high-torque-starter.html)

BY U BOY 03-30-2008 08:04 PM

Do I need a high torque starter???

My starter took a chit on me today:angry-smiley-038: Starter was only a year old. I'm running 10.7:1 compression and the starter i have now acts like my batts are dead when i crank it over. Will a high torque starter help??Or should i just have this one rebuilt?

Tinkerer 03-30-2008 08:35 PM

I have 509 CI at 10.5 to 1 and the stock starters do just fine. I do have 31 series batteries.
Get it rebuilt and make sure your batteries are good and cables are good.

BY U BOY 03-30-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerer (Post 2505865)
I have 509 CI at 10.5 to 1 and the stock starters do just fine. I do have 31 series batteries.
Get it rebuilt and make sure your batteries are good and cables are good.

Batts and all cables were replaced 2 weeks ago and fully charged.I have a 27 and a 31.

dogturd21 03-30-2008 10:56 PM

Go back and check the wires, especially any wires going to the starter, and other wires going to the engine. I had what I thought was a bad starter, but after replacing it, it still would not crank- it turned out to be wire that chaffed through on the engine block that was hidden in the back.
Also check out the ground straps on the engine.

BY U BOY 03-30-2008 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by dogturd21 (Post 2506068)
Go back and check the wires, especially any wires going to the starter, and other wires going to the engine. I had what I thought was a bad starter, but after replacing it, it still would not crank- it turned out to be wire that chaffed through on the engine block that was hidden in the back.
Also check out the ground straps on the engine.

checked all that today. I tried to jump the started and nothing so i'm pretty sure its bad.

If it aint one thing its another:D

Big Cliff 03-31-2008 08:47 AM

I was running the stock BBC starter on my blower motor and it had trouble turning it over. I switched to one of the new small gear reduction high tq starters and it turns it right over and fires on the first click. Worth the swap in my mind. Also ALOT smaller and lighter.

pachanga 03-31-2008 08:53 AM

If a starter is operated repeatedly under a low voltage,amperage condition it will fail quickly. Make sure that starter gets it's juice!

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-31-2008 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2506080)
checked all that today. I tried to jump the started and nothing so i'm pretty sure its bad.

If it aint one thing its another:D

Hey BIG Daddy just put a high torque , go on ebay and hit a buy it now for 65.00 brand new and enjoy the summer on the water ....:cool-smiley-011:
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff1000man 03-31-2008 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2506277)
Hey BIG Daddy just put a high torque , go on ebay and hit a buy it now for 65.00 brand new and enjoy the summer on the water ....:cool-smiley-011:
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebay Whore :evilb::evilb::D

jeff1000man 03-31-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2505815)
My starter took a chit on me today:angry-smiley-038: Starter was only a year old. I'm running 10.7:1 compression and the starter i have now acts like my batts are dead when i crank it over. Will a high torque starter help??Or should i just have this one rebuilt?

Check your timing again. THe fact that you thought it was wrong and you adjusted it, you might have over adjusted it and the engine has to much initial timing.

Anyway. I never knew that weed eater engines had electric start. :evilb::evilb: