Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer Brake Problems >

Trailer Brake Problems

Notices

Trailer Brake Problems

Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The drums look real good. Think the problem might be up by the coupler. Going to check there next. It is an Attwood coupler.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the shock in the coupler as well, if bad will allow full compression to the brakes.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered

Is there a certain way to check the shock? How will I know if its bad?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The shock only dampens the braking. It doesn't control the coupler travel.

With the brake line either unhooked or no brake fluid, you should be able to move teh coupler in and out and feel the resistance of the shock working just as in your cars suspension.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Is there a certain way to check the shock? How will I know if its bad?
My Ameritrail doesn't bounce when the brakes are applied, it just engauges real hard and on occassion will lock up the tire. Flat spotted two tires last year. Road side does it the most. I've tried running them loose and they hit too hard. I run them tight and it locks up . The shoes and everything are fine. I swapped drums side to side and no difference. Repaced the wheel cylinder, shock absorber in the tongue, no help. The line to the back is fine. About the only thing left is the master cylinder right? Let me know if you figure yours out. Ameritrail was stumped too.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered

I will be replacing one of the wheel cylinders in the next few days. Then bleed the brakes and try again. Everything else looks good as far as I can tell. Hope that fixes the problem. I will let you know.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered

Well I still haven't figured out what my brake problem is Yet. Here is what I've done so far: Like I mentioned earlier, I had replaced one of the wheel cylinders proir to going on my trip. everything fine for 1300 miles. Checked out the other wheel cylinder and could see a little rusty fluid under the boot so I figured I would replace that too. Also checked all brake lines. The brake line along the axle had rubbed on the trailer and was ready to rupture. That had nothing to do with the problem , but replaced that too. Took off the coupler and the master cylinder. Cleaned every orfice and replaced the gasket where it attaches to the coupler. Bled the brakes. Still have the problem. At this point I am sure it has nothing to do with the coupler, wheel cylinders or air in the lines. My next move will be to look into the brakes themselves. The coupler manufacturer said it has nothing to do with the little shock absorber in the coupler. I figure it has to be the drums, the shoes or the brake shoe springs? Monday I will pull the drums, take out the bearings and have the drums turned. If that doesn't work it has to be the shoes or the spirings. If none of that works, I think I will just shoot myself
Old 05-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

Griff, If nothing above works I will replace the main brake line next. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which axle are the brakes on? I could see this being the case more so if they are on the front axle.

Have you checked for a warped drum?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-17-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The disc conversion is not all that expensive. Why not update? I have had drums on a few trailers in the past and nothing but problems. The catz azz is EOH if you are able to budget that.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.