Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer Brake Problems >

Trailer Brake Problems

Notices

Trailer Brake Problems

Old 05-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chec to make sure there is a small adapter on the master cylinder where the brake line connects. That is used to control the pressure in the brake sytem. Also, do you have leaf springs connected to each other or torision system? Leaf spring systems require all brakes to work equal. If unequal, they will cause a rolling of the axles and cause the wheel to loose traction. Also are the brake shoes on right? Bigger shoe to the back...........

On a diffenent note, the disc brake system is much better that drum. More if in a salty area. Much easier to flush. But must add the 5 pin connector for the back-up solonid.

Best of luck with this nightmare. And keep us posted..........
Old 05-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are EOH brakes?
Old 05-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ebendrey
What are EOH brakes?
Electric Over Hydraulics

You replace the surge coupler setup with an electric pump. Uses an electric brake controller in your truck, same as a camper. When you hit the brakes, the controller sends power to the pump, which provides pressure for your hyd drums or disc brakes. There are so many good things about this setup. Only drawback is you can't tow your trailer behind any truck like a surge brake trailer.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to upgrade to a disc set up someday, but at this time I am going to stick with the drum set up....I'll feel defeated if I give up now!

The brakes are on the front axle, No leaf springs, so I believe what I'm seeing is a torsion system. I have never had the brake shoes off and the big shoe is on the rear. Shoes have maybe 50% wear or less. I did check the orfice on the mastercylinder/brake line connection all looks good. The drums look good to the eye and I tried to measure them to see if there was any distorsion, but I realize the only way to know for sure is to put them on a drum lathe. I will get them turned this week and let you know how it goes.
Thanks to all for your ideas.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet the drums are warped/out of round. You may not notice it when they are cool but after driving they get hot and expand and make it that much worse. Being a torsional axle will really excentuate the pulsation. I did the disc brake conversion on my trailer and I can say it was the best money I spent on my trailer. The kit was $400 shipped to me. It came with EVERYTHING, including coupler. Just my .02

www.trailerpartsdepot.com

charlie
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

Alright, things are looking up. I finally found something wrong.
Had the drums turned today. Said one was perfect, one was Warped. Just so happens that is the same side as the wheel cylinder I suspected had a problem. Got everything back together and could not road test as it is raining. Probably get a chance to road test it on Wednesday. Got my fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Good luck with the road test.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Registered

I took a road test tonight. 95% of the chatter seems to be gone. Most of the time the brakes hook up like normal. But once in a while It chatters about 3 times ,for about 1-2 seconds then grabs like normal. I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe the brakes have to burn into the newly turned drums to fit right? I am going to try it for a little while and see if it corrects itself.
When I had everything apart I just cleaned everything with Brake cleaner. My other thought is to sand the pads with coarse sand paper to de-glaze the pads. I also read in an old post that it might help to sand off the sharp edge at the end of the pads to keep it from grabbing too hard when the brakes are applied.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered

I've had this thing apart so many times I could problably quality for a Nascar pit crew member. Pulled the drums and sanded the pads with 36 grit paper to clean off the glaze. Also filed the sharp edges on the leading and following edges of the pads. Re adjusted the brakes and took it for another road test. Still chatters under light braking at first then hooks up. Under heavy braking it seems to work alright. I haven't took it on a long trip yet so I don't really know how it's going to react. What else could it be?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I worked on brakes years ago, we turned to drums and then arc'ed (re-shaped) the brake shoes to match the new diameter of the drums. Maybe with move to disc brakes, this is a lost art.
Can the shop that turned the drums do this for you?

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.