Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Clean sheet of paper, what would you build? >

Clean sheet of paper, what would you build?

Notices

Clean sheet of paper, what would you build?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clean sheet of paper, what would you build?

Ok.. open to ideas!! Toss them at me..

Starting with a M4 SC Procharger, Dart 10.2 block, Pro 1 heads. Single engine 6000lb boat, with XR drive. What are your thoughts on the motor build? Looking at 1100-1200hp/ 5800-6000rpm, area.

Thanks!
Dick
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick,
If I wanted to build a blown BBC based engine, I would be asking you. I thought you were already in first place! Dumping the Merlin block?
My thought is to use a proven receipe...like Mercurys. Power is easy, valve train reliability isn't. Budget for SpinTron testing.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4.5 stroke 6.7"rods 4.5 bore 572. Dish top pistons or flats with 131 cc heads. Cometic gaskets to get about 8:1 cr. Huge flowing heads and do a conservative Hyd roller for longevity at 5800 max. Crank the boost and big intercooler. Dry 5" tails on some SM gen3's.

Or you could do it the easy way by copying the merc 1075 specs but use your blower and set it up for the same boost level.

The IMCO SCX drive would be high on the list with that power in a 6000lb boat.

Last edited by IRONMAN; 04-30-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: incorrect rod length
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm,

How about CMI E-Tops, Boat tailed, and knife edged crank, file fit Mahle rings, clevite bearings, ARP hardware, internally balanced motor to +/- 0.5 gram, EFI, with full closed loop control with EGT, or at least dual wideband to control the things, coil on/near plug distributorless, and a much better intercooler. Bigger water tank for the AWIC, and a drive cooler too....

I could build you a motor just like that, but i am finishing building mine with an M1 Procharger just like that, so no time now..

I will tune mine to be at 900HP, because I do not want to blow up the IMCO SC drive I just bought.. If I had an Arneson, I could make that engine do 1600+ HP with a bigger Procharger, and be driveable... But, the wallet can only take so much pain at once...

Thanks for the advice you gave me on drives 2 weeks ago..! (Bought the IMCO as a result)

Hope that helps,

Richard
Old 05-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Ben,
I decided that the merlin is at the end of it's life cycle. At 4.607" bore with some scaring from the last cam destruct. I am hoping a street guy or drag racer would be interested in the combination. But for now I will reassemble and run it!! Have to burn some fuel this summer, that is all there is to it. I was hoping to do it with a boost, but that will come in time. I have been looking at the Merc motors and keeping that info in mind.

Richard, glad to hear that worked out for you!! Let me know when you get the itch to go with more power, I can supply you with the SCX!!

Iron man, I am headed in the direction you are thinking. I will be picking up the block and heads today. Looking at callies crank, oliver rods and JE pistons, 4.5" x 4.5". Already have the large intercooler, Cutler EFI intake (hate to give up the sheet metal intake.. but) CMI Tube tops. As far as the drive goes.. I am doing some gear coating experiments and that is the real reason I need some power. Not that I have an dying desire to feel all that power. It is all about testing!!
As soon as I can afford it, I will be bolting on an SCX with HD transom. I have been in contact with Imco, they had a poker run going this past weekend and some of the SCX's were going to be out there.. I have to call and see how things went..

Keep the ideas coming, but it sounds like I am close to what people are thinking.
Thanks!
Dick
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue242
Hmmmm,

How about CMI E-Tops, Boat tailed, and knife edged crank, file fit Mahle rings, clevite bearings, ARP hardware, internally balanced motor to +/- 0.5 gram, EFI, with full closed loop control with EGT, or at least dual wideband to control the things, coil on/near plug distributorless, and a much better intercooler. Bigger water tank for the AWIC, and a drive cooler too....

I could build you a motor just like that, but i am finishing building mine with an M1 Procharger just like that, so no time now..

I will tune mine to be at 900HP, because I do not want to blow up the IMCO SC drive I just bought.. If I had an Arneson, I could make that engine do 1600+ HP with a bigger Procharger, and be driveable... But, the wallet can only take so much pain at once...

Thanks for the advice you gave me on drives 2 weeks ago..! (Bought the IMCO as a result)

Hope that helps,

Richard
Why are you doing all that and using a little M-1? I am no engine builer but think that will make way too much heat and the cost difference between an M-1 and M-3 is not that much.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Hi ZXXX,

I got a very good deal on the M1, which can flow 1400 CFM, and is good enough for 933HP at the ratio of 1.5 CFM : 1HP. Heat if a function of Compression (BOOST), and I would like to keep my power level to 900 HP, so the M1 is fine. I can control the heat of the charge with a better intercooler. The regular coolers also have a bit of pressure drop, which if solved by a better cooler, can allow one to run less (BOOST), and make more power. Power has to do with air flow, and charge density, not boost pressure as most people are led to believe. Procharger indicates their M1 is good for 800 HP with their intercooler. If you use a better cooler, and control the temps, it will make more power. their M1, M1SC, and M2 are the same compressors, but have different HP ratings due to the internal gear ratio, nothing else... The M3 is bigger.

http://www.procharger.com/marine/M_tech_specs.shtml

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier. I do not want more than 900HP, as I do not want to buy an Arneson. I could use an M3, but the M1 is adequate for my application. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am up with the whole heat/boost thing. Did you go to a AW504 or get aftermarket like a supercooler?

I guess the other concern I would have would be how many rpm you need to spin the blower to get it to flow that much through your engine.

I am just curious. I have never seen anyone extract that kind of power with that combo.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Donzi,
what kind of power are getting with your combination? I see a Procharged 540 mentioned in your signature, tell me all about it please?

Thanks
Dick
Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered

Smile

Hi Donzi,

I have an AW 304, but I also have other intercoolers from other automotive projects in my garage. I have a setup from Laminova that can extract heat at 88-90% efficiency and less than 1 psi pressure drop across the IC core based on the flow rate of the coolant, and the storage capacity of the resirvoir.

The M1 is rated at 1400 CFM at 50,000 rpm with a 3.05:1 step up gear. At a corresponding redline of 6,500RPM, the engine:SC pulley ratio would have to be about 8.25:1 to get the 1400 CFM. I will eventually use the Laminova setup, but I have to first test the pressure drop through the entire system. In addition, there is the consideration of the plenum volume and runner volume, and where the IC is situated in the path, as the heat can be added back into the runner if the distance from the IC exit to the intake valve is too long..

The laminova setup has never been done on a boat before as far as I know. many cars use them in the race world.

www.laminova.com

These guys below have a similar setup with an M1, and gain an extra 70-100HP with a (IMHO) less efficient design.

http://www.rtechperformance.com/techinfo.html

There are very abrupt turns, angles, and other flow restrictions..

Anyway, hope it helps.. And keep in mind I do not want more than 900HP. The motor (588 CI) is already good for at least 675HP. Short shop math tells me that to get 225HP I would need to increase the absolute pressure .33 Bar, (increase the air mass 33% and fuel as well.) this is not very difficult to do with a small compressor. It's all a question of balance.

Richard

Richard

Quick Reply: Clean sheet of paper, what would you build?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.