oil pressure erratic- any ideas? >

oil pressure erratic- any ideas?

Notices

oil pressure erratic- any ideas?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the wire swap only. If nothing changes, you then know it is external of the OP system...probably...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the same problem and it was a combination of the 10 pin plug and the wire going to the sender. Changed the wire and cleaned the harness plug and its all good.

I did all the same stuff you did,changed the gauge and the sender twice.Varified with a mechanical gauge and started messing with things untill i found the problem. Hope this helps.

Last edited by BY U BOY; 05-07-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Dumb Question, But did you try and change oil filters, I had one go bad a few months ago, thought i was losing an engine, Pressure all over the place and temps up, changed the filter and was all fixed.. $11.00 !!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered

I did try a second filter with the same results. It was the same type Napa 1742 gold, probably made by Wix. Does anybody have a cross reference for this, I'd like to try a different manufacturer.

The high voltage wires is interesting, I will try this.

Rob, How did you fix the stuck relief valve?

Ben, I put a jumper wire from the port harness to the starboard sender, and vice versis, and the problem went to the other gage. Then I swapped the two senders (wires still reversed, and the problem stayed with the opposite gage. What would you guys recommend on the wiring?

These are all good thoughts, thanks, John B
Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered

Hot runnin, the boat is a 36 Skater with 572's and Quad rotors. I can't lay on the back seat, it has bolsters.
PS:How can you average 17 posts a day?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a stock 454 Mag with some erratic oil pressures that turned out to be a broken oil pick up ...
Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
I did try a second filter with the same results. It was the same type Napa 1742 gold, probably made by Wix. Does anybody have a cross reference for this, I'd like to try a different manufacturer.

The high voltage wires is interesting, I will try this.

Rob, How did you fix the stuck relief valve?

Ben, I put a jumper wire from the port harness to the starboard sender, and vice versis, and the problem went to the other gage. Then I swapped the two senders (wires still reversed, and the problem stayed with the opposite gage. What would you guys recommend on the wiring?

These are all good thoughts, thanks, John B
Fram 3766 AC Delco PF1054 .... Sounds like the oil is getting hot ......pressure will drop ....when you stop and let it cool the pressure will come back .... That filter has no bypass valve ...The bypass on the 502's are mounted in the block where the oil filter pad is ...not sure what block your running ....an oil thermostat not opening could casue the simptoms .....m
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

John,
This would indicate to me that the there is an issue with the wire (or connection) from the OP sender to the gauge. Maybe a short, cut, loose connection, etc. You have to find it or just run a new wire. I would suggest a new dedicated wire from the sender to the gauge to make sure...then decide the long term fix.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
John,
This would indicate to me that the there is an issue with the wire (or connection) from the OP sender to the gauge. Maybe a short, cut, loose connection, etc. You have to find it or just run a new wire. I would suggest a new dedicated wire from the sender to the gauge to make sure...then decide the long term fix.
didnt he say he swapped wires (blue) and the problem was moved to the other gauge?

that tells me the prob is either the sender or the motor ....then he swapped senders (blue still rolled) and the prob stayed with the other gauge .... so......either the motor or motor ground issue ...if it was ground issue he would have water temp indication issues and other ground related issues .....Sounds like hot oil ...

John ... does the temp slowly go up and then slowly down or is it like instantious ?

Last edited by offthefront; 05-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered

The pressure goes down slowly, like a minute duration. This all happened last fall, before I put it away for the season. I have oil temperature gages, but I didn't notice a significant difference.

The block is Merlin, I believe, but could be Dart. How can I check this?

As I recall, everything is normal until is warms up and is run hard, like 3/4 throttle. Then the pressure stays low, whether rpms are 1500 or 6000. So it will be difficult to test in the driveway.

I will have to see where the oil temperature is read. It may be where it comes out of the cooler. If the oil cooler temperature bypass fails, the temperature at this point would look stable even though the pan oil temperature was going up to maybe where the oil pressure would drop 20 lbs. How many degrees, starting at 180 would it take to drop oil pressure 20 lbs. Probably good I'm running Mobile 1.

Does anyone think this is possible? Ever hear of an oil temp bypass do this?

Thanks, John B

JB

Quick Reply: oil pressure erratic- any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.