Blower question?

Notices

Blower question?

Old 02-22-2002, 11:44 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower question?

how can i find out if my blower is making boost? The engien is out of the boat for winter and to be cleaned up. When the blower went on last season i did't notice any speed gains and minimal RPM gains. The timing was correct but it just didn't seem right. My boost guage didn't seem to be working. If the teflon strip in the blower were shot woudl it not make boost? Does my blower need to be rebiult? FYI its a B&M 174 on a 330hp 454
Old 02-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

Puder you might want to think about upping that to a 250
174 is sort of small
I hear you on the 330 though, I have twin 330s as you know and they wont take that much F**ing with
Might want to think about either changing out pullies OR swapping into a 250
What boost are you trying to run?
Yes if those rotors are torn up, then your air/fuel compression under blower in intake manifold will decrease and you wont be running too effectively.
almost all of the companies WILL take their blowers back and rebuild them for you (for a price of course unless it is really new)
You might do a tad better by calling B&M (now B&M /Holley/Weiand I think)
they might be able to help you with issues that im sure they know about
www.BMracing.com
Ps their website has no supercharger information that I saw last time I was there
Good luck my friend
Jason
Old 02-22-2002, 02:26 PM
Registered

Did you hear the blower "whineing" when you had it in the boat running. I have the same blower, and when you spin it above 4000 rpm's there is a load whine......Just wondering if your belt was slipping??? Do you have your boost gague installed properly?? Your best bet would be to hook up the boost gague correctly and run it on the stand. Even though there is no load, you should still get some type of boost reading....accurate or not.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered

PUdEr, i just had my 250 re done by the blower shop. I had a spacer from the flame arrester go thru mine so i needed new gears, bearings, and got a refurbed rotor. also had almost 2000 hours on unit so teflon was wearing, but i was still making 5lbs (6lb pulley) Blower shop is in Cal, and you will have to have it sent by a dealer, but your cost including the ship out and back should be around 500 bills to refurb. Lots cheaper than holley. good luck. www.theblowershop.com

Last edited by LS-7; 02-22-2002 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:44 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

500 top refurb the thing!!!! I only payed 1500 with a carb, intake manifold, flame aresstor manifold and mounting stuff!!!

So on teh stand not under load it shoudl make some kind of boost? Not an accurate reading but it shoudl register some kind of boost?
Old 02-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Registered

yes puder, on the stand it should make boost. maybe you got what you paid for. new 250 alone is 2K plus
Old 02-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still bettin you won't see boost on the stand. What do you other blower guys see when you rev you blower engines in nuetral up to 5k. Does your Boost gauge move past zero?
I could rev my turbo's up to 6k and not see boost. As sson as a load was put on it - gauge straight to 10 lbs boost.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

Default blower

A supercharger will make boost all the time unlike a turbo they are load sensing.Unless the belt is slipping you should see boost as the rpm comes up.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:03 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

thats what i like to hear!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Need to put a load to it to see boost. Try it now in neutral and stab the throttle- didn't see boost did you!

Quick Reply: Blower question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.