Leaking Flange on CMI's >

Leaking Flange on CMI's

Notices

Leaking Flange on CMI's

Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Flange on CMI's

Hey guys , I am having an issue that I want to stop before it turns into a major one. I have a leaking exhaust flange that I am having trouble sealing.

I have a pretty fresh 502 with CMI E tops . At the V band clamp that connects the header to the tailpipe, I am getting an external drip and also some water draining back towards the exhaust valve after shutdown.

I removed the gasket and noticed carbon on the V band clamp as well as water marks on the gasket where it has been leaking.

After replcing the gasket, I still have the same issue. I dont want to run it like this to prevent any engine damage.

Does anyone have any insight on how to get this to seal. Should I use a copper RTV or other sealer in conjunction with the gasket? Could this cause hydrolock if left unattended?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue with my E-tops and CMI said to use double gaskets or sealant if needed.I was concerned about the water also and they said once its sealed water would not be an issue getting into the motor,So far two years later and no issues.I used two gaskets and sealant.

Nordic95
Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the quick reply, thats very reassuring. I thought of doubling up, but was unsure until now.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Use 2 gaskets. No sealant.
Works like a charm.

Also - it would be a REALLY good idea to send your tail pipes off to CMI. They can weld in some reversion rings. That will stop the water from traveling up the tailpipe past the joint.
What is happening is: When you install those the std (1 gasket) way, there is sometimes a small leak. That leak interrupts the exhaust pulse - which in turn pulls water up the tail pipe. If it is leaking at the joint, you can bet that water is getting into your motor somewhat. 2 gaskets will seal that leak for awhile. But the best remedy is for CMI to weld in the rings.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I agree with Billl R. Those headers and tails have a dry joint, thats why there is a bypass hose. Water should not be there at all. You engine is sucking it back up. Is the engine stock? What are the cam specs?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I agree with Billl R. Those headers and tails have a dry joint, thats why there is a bypass hose. Water should not be there at all. You engine is sucking it back up. Is the engine stock? What are the cam specs?
For stock motors, it is not an issue of cam sucking it back up. It is a case of the exhaust pulse being disrupted by a minor leak. THAT is what brings water back up. Reversion rings in tailpipe will stop this 100%.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Where do you guys purchase those gaskets and the v-clamps? I used to get them from Trick marine and will no longer do that.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned
Gold Member

We have the parts in stock at Ateco (847)623-2737.

This may sound crazy, but most of the time this is condensate at the hot flange joint, with the cold water being pumped around it. I thought I had the same isse and it was condensate. Highly unlikely that your engine has enough cam to draw water up the pipe.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered

I doubled up the gasket and it appears to have stopped the leak at the joint. Before, I could visibly see water dripping from the joint . It would take about 5 mins for the drip to start , but after that it was constant.

Hopefully the issue with the leaking joint holds until I can get some rings welded in. I was definately getting some water into the motor, because I found some "shake" when I drained the oil. I replaced the oil / filter, ran it, replaced the oil / filter again and ran it . seems ok so far.

The motor does have a crane cam, but it isnt anything crazy. I am looking for the cam card for the exact specs.

Thanks again Guys.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

UH OH...

After fixing the exhaust gasket I ran the boat for about an hour under all different rpms and everything seemed perfect. Oil and water temps were great, and all seemed well with the boat. I changed the oil again and there was still some "shake" present.

I assumed it was oil that was in the cooler or left over from this experience.

I went to take the boat out the very next day and bang..! Hydrolock. Pulled the plugs and about a half a quart came out of cylinder #6. Plugs 4 and 8 show signs of droplets.

Now I'm thinking head gasket but i have to do a leakdown test tomorrow..

Any rec's on gaskets (Cometic?) or what else may need to be addressed before I pull the motor apart?

This motor has 40 hours on it...WTF

Quick Reply: Leaking Flange on CMI's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.