wiped out flywheel teeth on "95" 540cu >

wiped out flywheel teeth on "95" 540cu

Notices

wiped out flywheel teeth on "95" 540cu

Old 02-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wiped out flywheel teeth on "95" 540cu

Last fall my starter stuck out, engages into my flywheel ring gear. It ate from 1/16" deep to over 1/4" into the ring gear. I had one more outting planned and did not have time to pull the engine for repairs so I pulled the starter and with some creative dremmel and file work through the starter hole the ring was dressed enough to install a new starter and make one more weekend of it. Trust me this was almost as hard as pulling the engine,
I have the engine out now but have run into another problem.
The engine is a 1995 model 540 BULLDOG with only 212hrs.
This model from what I know was externally balanced with the fly wheel on. Hence the problem. I am almost sure they did not internally balance without the flywheel until late 96. I called Merc high performance and they had to be reminded of that fact when asking for advice. I got none! If I would'nt have known about the balanceing and followed thier instructions, I'd have thrown a complete flywheel on the engine and created a 25K granade.
The ring gear is just pressed onto the actual flywheel. I was wondering if I could cut the ring off, purchase a new ring, freeze my flywheel, heat the ring and drop it on. If so is this balanced enough, where do I get the ring, do I need to balnce the ring first (not sure about this because the old ring was installed on the flywheel on the engine and all balanced as an assy)
ANY AND ALL REAL SUGGESTIONS WITH SOME TECH TO BACK IT UP IS REQUIRED and apprecieted.
I do not wish to jeperdize this fine piece of AMERICAN BIG BLOCK HORESPOWER.

THANKS MUCH CMC
[email protected]
513-227-6276 cell if you wish to cell
Old 02-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There was some info about this in Big Block Performance book. I can not remember what it said. If you can find Bruce then I would think that he has the info you need. Maybe some one has his number I hear he is swamped these days. I can not think that the ring gear could make a difference in the balance but DO NOT have that help you make your decision that is a total guess.

Jon
Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 AM
Registered

In the old days heat shrinking the ring gear into place was what was done. That is, you heat the ring gear, not freeze it - no particular orientation.

My opinion is that the ring gear itself is such a small percentage of the total wieght of the flywheel, that any out of balance of the ring gear would not effect engine balance. I'm certain it will be more balanced than the old ring gear with teeth missing.

I don't have specific knowledge of your application, but I always thought flywheel balancing was the same for v-8s of the same make and different for 6s. I once installed (accidentally) a v-8 flywheel on a straight 6. It was in a truck and when I fired it up it walked across my driveway on jack stands. Hair raising indeed!!

I think you are fine with any gm v-8 flywheel, but I'm sure we will find out if I am not.

BT
Old 02-27-2002, 07:36 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Ring gear, no problem. Cost is about $40, use a hammer and brass drift to drive the old one off. Heat the new one with a propane torch, drive it on with a brass hammer or drift. We have never had a problem with the balance. We have them in stock, or you can get it at an auto parts store. Pioneer makes them.
You can call me if you want at 954 321 0606
Old 02-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Registered

You can even heat it up in the wife's oven. I've been in a pinch and had to rob one off a flywheel sitting around. I believe it's a 168 tooth ring gear. Believe me, it's a 5 minute job.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Registered

I always use the oven method. Hard to get a part that big heated with a torch.

BT
Old 02-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't laugh, but I never thought of an oven! Of coure I don't have one at the shop hense the torch, but that is a great idea. Much less chance of overheating.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Kleptow

Did the same thing last season. Ring gear cost 20.00 Bucks at the local part pro wherehouse. The wifes oven is the only way to go, anything else you run the risk of wrapping your new gear.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat the ring in your wifes oven (But DON't tell her). Put the flywheel in you freezer. It will slip on like butter
Old 03-01-2002, 01:22 AM
Registered

I've changed several. The ring gear should not affect balance.

Chevy made 2 diameter flywheels- 12.5? and 14 inch. They had 153 or 168 tooth ring gears. My Mercs have the large flywheels and I would bet that there was never a need for the small ones on boats. Less work for the starter, too. Ring gear can be bought at an auto parts store (NAPA).

- oh yeah, the Mercruiser website has parts breakdown for Bulldog motors with indication on motor number where transition from external to internal balance occured. Crankshaft, flywheel and harmonic balancer are different.

1) wear safety glasses

2) Bell housing mounted starter (#3SSM in my case) requires gear to be installed from the rear of the flywheel (drive plate end) and flywheel has a shoulder machined on it. Make sure to replace gear on the correct shoulder!

3) Tell wife you are cooking dinner. Place new gear in oven and heat to about 450.

4) Heat the old ring gear on the flywheel with a torch. Rotate to heat evenly. Use a brass drift (or bolt) to drive gear off- working around the gear evenly as possible. No need to chill flywheel.

5) With correct side of flywheel facing up, remove ring gear from oven and drop into position on flywheel. In my case there was about 1/16 inch of slop, which disappeared after about 10 seconds. No hammer needed.

6) Explain to your that you saved $1000000 dollars by doing a repair yourself and take her out for dinner.

Quick Reply: wiped out flywheel teeth on "95" 540cu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.