Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Raylar - 496 water leak question? >

Raylar - 496 water leak question?

Notices

Raylar - 496 water leak question?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Raylar - 496 water leak question?

I've been having an ongoing problem with one of my drain valve assemblies dumping water into bilge at higher speeds on my 28 Daytona. There's another thread I posted recently that goes into the details, the DANA pop-off valve idea. Can you possibly shed a little light on the best thing to do in this case without pulling the motor. I would like to relieve the pressure with a pop-off valve rather it coming out the 496 drain valve. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Harper 220

Couple of questions obviously. Are you getting any beeps for high pressures on the raw water system.
Does the valve open only at what speeds and engine rpms?
I have also seen a few of these dump valves go bad and dump raw water before the pressure relief setting they are designed to open at.
If you are not getting any beeps on the alarm you should get the scan tool hooked up and read your pressures when running. the pressures should range between about 5psi at idle and about 30 psi at WOT. I believe the pressure valves will open at about 40-45 psi. If they are opening lower than that, then I would replace the valve. If your pressures are really high then you should check your system for blockages in the raw system most likely in the coolers,etc.
I don't think the Dana system gate drain valves have anything to do with the problem, they should remain closed unless you are draining the system for cleaning or winter layup. You should check the manifold to riser hoses for kinks as these can cause a restriction in flow of the raw system and cause high pressures. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered

I'll have to check pressure on my scan tool while the boat is under way. The valve seems to be opening at anything over about 55 mph, which would be about 3100-3200 rpm's. I pressurized the system to open valves up and drain after the last use. they drained just like they're supposed to and I could hear them snap shut when I pulled the pressure relief pin. I thought this might seat the leaky one properly in case there was some sand in it. I did this several times to get them moving. I haven't ran the boat since though. Just to clear the air, I do not have the pop-off valve installed, so the only thing that would be leaking is the drain system valve and it's located on starboard side on starboard motor and impossible to reach.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

bump