Threw a blower belt >

Threw a blower belt

Notices

Threw a blower belt

Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Wow, right place at the right time. Good to hear. The stock map does not add more fuel as the boost goes up, its the same as stock boost fuel so it does lean up when you change the pulley size. It's a good idea to have the ECM modified for just a touch more fuel at the higher boost. For whatever reason, mercury did not even extrapolate the map. No problem other than that. Normally, I touch the boost fuel table a touch and bump the rpm limit to 5600rpm.

Thanks,
Dustin
Motor ran great with the new thermistat and pulley. One thing has me worried...cruising @ 3800rpm, rpm momentarily dropped 500 rpm for a second then came back. This happened twice on the last run of the weekend. It also happend after I switched totally to my port tank (which had contained 2/3rds last years gas). Was the ECM pulling timing because of detonation? Water was @ approx 60* and my water temp hovered around 130*. I need to get an AF meter on this and do it right.

Last edited by JRider; 07-09-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Motor ran great with the new thermistat and pulley. One thing has me worried...cruising @ 3800rpm, rpm momentarily dropped 500 rpm for a second then came back. This happened twice on the last run of the weekend. It also happend after I switched totally to my port tank (which had contained 2/3rds last years gas). Was the ECM pulling timing because of detonation? Water was @ approx 60* and my water temp hovered around 130*. I need to get an AF meter on this and do it right.
I doubt it was timing being retarded. The knock system is not even close to being sensitive, and at part throttle, you were probably no where near a knock window. If it dropped that much, I would check/change fuel filter and also inspect distributor/cap/rotor/wires. If you have 204 hrs on those, they need to all be replaced. By the way, don't bother using any part of stock distributor, just throw it away and install a new Mercury Marine or GM marine unit, all others cause multiple issues.

Thanks,
Dustin

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 07-09-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You blower guys...help a virgin blower guy out here. Did I do right or what?I have a 250 Blower shop unit with a dominator on top. The fuel pump is an Aeromotive A1000 with an Aeromotive bypass regulator that allows a 1 to 1 increase. If I understand it correctly...1 pound of boost increases the fuel pressure 1 pound, with the idle pressure set at 7 PSI. I set the timing at 28* total on a MSD distributor. All the fuel lines are stainless steel JIC fittings at -8 (1/2).

I really dont need a blower...just wanted one. Love to here that blower whine when cruising.

Thanks for any and all info and or suggestions.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
You blower guys...help a virgin blower guy out here. Did I do right or what?I have a 250 Blower shop unit with a dominator on top. The fuel pump is an Aeromotive A1000 with an Aeromotive bypass regulator that allows a 1 to 1 increase. If I understand it correctly...1 pound of boost increases the fuel pressure 1 pound, with the idle pressure set at 7 PSI. I set the timing at 28* total on a MSD distributor. All the fuel lines are stainless steel JIC fittings at -8 (1/2).

I really dont need a blower...just wanted one. Love to here that blower whine when cruising.

Thanks for any and all info and or suggestions.
Sounds like you did a good job. Just watch your fuel psi, make sure you don't exeed 10-11psi, you just need enough to keep the bowls full.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dustin??

Hey Dustin,

I have destroyed (2) both Idler pulley bearings since I added your intercoolers (within 10 hours run time since install). If you remember the belts in the kit were too short (could not get them on). The replacement belts you sent me put the idler bracket about halfway through it's stroke. The blowers were just gone through at 100 hours but Idler bearings were not replaced. Any thoughts? Just coincedence?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you did a good job. Just watch your fuel psi, make sure you don't exeed 10-11psi, you just need enough to keep the bowls full.
Thank you for your info. I want to learn the "how-to's" but I dont want to break anything. I will watch the fuel pressure, but I might have to bump it down on the idle a hair to stay under the 11 pound max. Again...thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
Thank you for your info. I want to learn the "how-to's" but I dont want to break anything. I will watch the fuel pressure, but I might have to bump it down on the idle a hair to stay under the 11 pound max. Again...thanks
That or just run the regulator without the boost reference if it becomes a problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
Hey Dustin,

I have destroyed (2) both Idler pulley bearings since I added your intercoolers (within 10 hours run time since install). If you remember the belts in the kit were too short (could not get them on). The replacement belts you sent me put the idler bracket about halfway through it's stroke. The blowers were just gone through at 100 hours but Idler bearings were not replaced. Any thoughts? Just coincedence?

Thanks
It's possible that its a coincedence. The belt length shouldn't effect pulley life. Bearings should make far past 100 hours, keep an eye on them, after a few hours, take belt off and feel them by hand. 1/2 way for idler bracket is perfect.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible that its a coincedence. The belt length shouldn't effect pulley life. Bearings should make far past 100 hours, keep an eye on them, after a few hours, take belt off and feel them by hand. 1/2 way for idler bracket is perfect.
Is that a special bearing? Anyone know a replacement P/N?
Found a SKF Double Row Ball Bearing with same dimensions.
P/N 5203A-2RS1TN9, rated to 10,000 rpm. Will this work?

$39 at local bearing distributer. Merc (BAM) wants almost $280 for pulley and bearing......
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
Is that a special bearing? Anyone know a replacement P/N?
Found a SKF Double Row Ball Bearing with same dimensions.
P/N 5203A-2RS1TN9, rated to 10,000 rpm. Will this work?

$39 at local bearing distributer. Merc (BAM) wants almost $280 for pulley and bearing......
That will work, SKF makes a nice bearing, as does NSK.