Carb question >

Carb question

Notices

Carb question

Old 07-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Carb question

I have a carb acting up on one of my 720's. It is a 1050 and something happened to it during the James run last weekend. The thing will run perfect cold but warm it up and she wont idle at all. It just stumbles all over itself up to about 1500-1800 rpm and then everything is perfect. I will admit to not knowing anything about carbs so I thought I would ask the masterminds of OSO. I would also like to go to the lake for a few hours tomorrow but I don't want to hurt anything by running it anymore before I get it fixed.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb

Look and see if it has a port on the back that has become open sum carbs still have a port for a pcv valve on them. My marine Demons still have them with a rubber plug.If the engine pops or backfires it blowes it off and doesnt run right.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Also, when idling with the arrester removed, look down the carb. There should be no dripping fuel visible. If there is you either have a failed float or your PV is blown.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

A little food for thought--When you first start the engines up and they are warming, your engings are usually 2000RPM or slightly higher. at that point you are out of your idle circuit. When you pull the throttles back to idle, your carbs go into the idle circuit. 99% of the time an idle problem will be a rusult of debris that has gotten into the idle airbleeds. The idle airbleeds are the 4 outer jets on a 1050 dominator. You can try, without taking the carburator off, blowing carb cleaner into the small idle airbleeds to try to clear out any debris. Sometime you get lucky and it will work.
My experience is most of the time you cannot even see the dirt. Hope this helps..LT
Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Intake leak??? Could be sucking air somewhere.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she runs OK when the engine is cold (even at idle) then turns to crud when you get temp in the engine the carburetor is too rich. If you haven't changed anything in the engine (ignition timing, valve lash, etc) than most likely you have some dirt caught up in the carburetor.

I would suggest getting some new gaskets for it, taking it off spraying all of the orifices out with some carburetor cleaner and compressed air and putting her back together.