What makes a good V-bottom?

Notices

What makes a good V-bottom?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carp,
If your boat is set up correctly, you don't need to props to do much other than push. Someone like Brett at BBlades would be a good source for more accurate prop input.
Look closely at the strakes in this picture. Notice that the outer strake (runs to the transom) is just in the water and the inter strake (stops about 12" behind the CG) is also just touching the water. Both just keeping the boat balanced with minimal drag. In this picture we were running over 100 MPH.
Attached Thumbnails What makes a good V-bottom?-6-5x7-neg-21.jpg  
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcarpman
This thread has been a lot of help. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Two questions I still haven't got answered:

1. Will raising the prop increase bow lift or decrease it?

2. What do the strakes do? they increase surface area which is bad for speed, right? but they provide lift which can be good? Do they provide any stability or resistance to chine walk? Would flattening then out at the stern help with my lack of bow lift?
Typically, raising the prop shaft will decrease the bow lift, but if your prop is really berried then raising will help with less drag. My guess is that on your hull you’d want the prop shaft 5 to 6” below the V on the bottom.
Stakes provide both lift and stability. If they are straight and sharp, they do not add much drag.
Like I said earlier, a friend of mine had good results from removing the built in hooks on a 24.5 Formula SS.
Brett at BBlades will hook you up with the right prop. My old school straight V 24’ Super really liked the Rev 4 stock or a B1 modified for extra bow lift.

By the way, I ran my Velocity again and it's growing on me. The pad bottom does help the boat get up and go vs. a streight V. At slower speeds in waves it does hit a bit harder than at higher speeds. I'm still learning how to run it...

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 07-30-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On heavier V's raising the prop too much will kill bow lift, increase drag and slip. The boat will go slower.

On really light v's it takes less leverage to carry the bow.

You need to play around with it to get it right. If you have to keep the prop deep, a 3 blade will be the best option.

To get max speed out of a straight v, you have to reduce the wetted area and drag. That takes bow lift.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
On heavier V's raising the prop too much will kill bow lift, increase drag and slip. The boat will go slower.

On really light v's it takes less leverage to carry the bow.

You need to play around with it to get it right. If you have to keep the prop deep, a 3 blade will be the best option.

To get max speed out of a straight v, you have to reduce the wetted area and drag. That takes bow lift.
This boat doesn't seem to like 3 blades as it is now. have to put passengers up in the bow just to get on plane sometimes. IT will also slip at speed, and if the water is rough, sometimes it will blow out and I'll fall off plane before I can get it to hook again. With a 4 blade (Bravo 1) it's a whole new boat. jumps on plane like a dragster, and never blows out. Tried 5 different 3 blade props all with the same results. Any idea what this says about my hull given how deep the prop is?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Any idea what this says about my hull given how deep the prop is?
I'd say the prop shaft is at the right depth and run 4 blade props that give bow lift. Have you trie a Rev 4?
If you do make changes to the bottom, ie. grinding out those hooks, the ball game may change.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I'd say the prop shaft is at the right depth and run 4 blade props that give bow lift. Have you trie a Rev 4?
If you do make changes to the bottom, ie. grinding out those hooks, the ball game may change.
I think I tried a rev 4 (rev 4 is more of a cleaver looking prop right?) but it was the wrong pitch. From what I remember it seemed to drive the bow into the water even more. I didn't keep it on for long.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I think I tried a rev 4 (rev 4 is more of a cleaver looking prop right?) but it was the wrong pitch. From what I remember it seemed to drive the bow into the water even more. I didn't keep it on for long.
The Merc Revolution 4 is a 4 blade version of the Mirage +. It's a round ear bow lifter and works great on old school hulls. It was the best “box stock” prop I ever ran on my 24’ Super.
The Bravo1 4 blade you are running is a neutral/over all lifting prop in its stock form.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
The Merc Revolution 4 is a 4 blade version of the Mirage +. It's a round ear bow lifter and works great on old school hulls. It was the best “box stock” prop I ever ran on my 24’ Super.
The Bravo1 4 blade you are running is a neutral/over all lifting prop in its stock form.

Ok, that's not what I had tried. I'll try to get my hands on one to try, although, this Bravo 1 is SOOO much better than anything else I've tried, I can't imagine getting it much better until I get the bottom straight.

Nice thing is, this boat seems to love LH props, so I've been able to pick up quite a few for pretty cheep since there's always someone else that wants the RH mate.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, that's not what I had tried. I'll try to get my hands on one to try, although, this Bravo 1 is SOOO much better than anything else I've tried, I can't imagine getting it much better until I get the bottom straight.

Nice thing is, this boat seems to love LH props, so I've been able to pick up quite a few for pretty cheep since there's always someone else that wants the RH mate.

That was my Rev4 that pat tried. They have a lot of rake so they really carry the bow well. I've tried a lot of props on my boat and it's still my favorite. Handles way better than a stock Bravo on my boat.

But I still say you should be running faster with the hp you have.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Carp,
I agree with Jim, you could get the boat to run 90-100+ MPH but today most of your set-up is not for top speed. To get significantly more speed, it will take major changes that are not in the engine compartment. My 1987 Scarab will run over 100 MPH but I could buy a new 39' Outerlimits with twin 1075's for less than I have spend over the last 20 years clawing up the wall.
Ben

Dude .....the truth hurts .....shhhhhhh .......

Quick Reply: What makes a good V-bottom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.