Tach lead ( what wire) >

Tach lead ( what wire)

Notices

Tach lead ( what wire)

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach lead ( what wire)

Hey Guys any help I would appreciate it. I am on Vacation at the Jersey shore this week & I ran aground in sand bar while idling & luckily made it out but the starboard motor sucked in a ton of sand & got all clogged up & pumping no water. So I took off all the water lines & with a hose nozzle blew out all of the sand. On my boat ( 99 Eliminator Daytona cat twin HP 500's carbs ) It was a ***** to get to the far side between the side of the boat and the motor. Any way I put it all back together & everything works perfect
all but the tach. I must have pulled off the lead for the tach but I don’t know which wire it is. Can any one tell me which wire near the distributer is the tach lead or pick up? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dave.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If I recall, it should be the brown wire.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

It will be the Gray wire
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance
It will be the Gray wire

Gray

Mark
Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrCIG
Gray

Mark
Gray wire going to what? I see a gray wire & a purple wire that both go to the coil. Is this what you guys are talking about? If so the wire looks fine & connected. Hmm?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

Make sure the main harness bullet connector is still firmly connected. The gray wire runs through that and then to the tach.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Make sure the main harness bullet connector is still firmly connected. The gray wire runs through that and then to the tach.
Blue thunder I think you are right. Everything on the distributer & coil all look good with no wires disconnected. I think when I was flushing out all of the sand I might have soaked the big bullet connector. I will try to disconnect it & dry it out with compressed air & the spray it with some white grease & reconnect it. If that does not work I am stumped. The only other thing I think it could be is if I got water
into the distributer & that is screwing up the tach but if that were the case I would think that the motor
would run poorly.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Well I thought blue thunder was correct but after taking wire harness & un plugging it & inspecting it everything looks great so I plugged it back in & still no tach on that motor. At this point I am going to have to switch the tach”s in the dash & see if the tach went bad & it is just a coincidence ( I doubt it , but I must rule this out ) & if the tach is not bad then the wire for the tach must have a break in it from either the motor getting to hot when I sucked up all that sand or I pinched it when I was tacking off all the hoses to get the sand out. My question is which wire does the tach read from? The grey wire going to one side of the coil? or I see two wires that go to the distributer & the are both white with different color stripes in them. I need to know what wire to look for that is damaged? Any help from a qualified expert that knows 100% what wire send's the signal for the tachometer. Thanks guys.

Last edited by NJDave; 07-31-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The tach reads from the grey wire to the coil.

Also, when the engine is running use a test light on the grey wire. Connect one end to a positive wire (ignition or anything powered up) and touch the other end to the grey wire. You're test light should flicker... No flicker and your tach wire is shorted somewhere...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
The tach reads from the grey wire to the coil.

Also, when the engine is running use a test light on the grey wire. Connect one end to a positive wire (ignition or anything powered up) and touch the other end to the grey wire. You're test light should flicker... No flicker and your tach wire is shorted somewhere...
Thanks Panther. Now when you say to test the grey wire when the motor is running if I put the tester at
the coil I would think that would be before the break in the wire. I should find it further away & test it there correct?

Quick Reply: Tach lead ( what wire)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.