spark plug advice? >

spark plug advice?

Notices

spark plug advice?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug advice?

I have a 632 with dart 360 heads, dominator carb with 88"s in the front and a 6.5 pv and 95's in the rear.... i currently have a set of ngk -8 plugs in it but i am afraid that they are too cold. I used to run autolite ar3932 but they are hard to find around here. it has been so humid the the engine is fouling plugs and i think with a couple of jet changed and a hotter plug i should be fine. anybody have any reccomendations? does anyone elese run power valves or do you guys block them off?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems you have to much separation primary to secodary if you are running 2 power valves, I would block the secondary power valve, leave the front, run about a 6.5, but ck you vacume in gear, divide in half to get the right one, jet the secodary about 8-10 sizes above the primary, as far as plugs are concerned I like accels have been using them for years, easier to get from a speed shop and seem to last forever, Rob

Last edited by ezstriper; 07-30-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
seems you have to much separation primary to secodary running 2 power valves, I would block the secondary power valve, leave the front, run about a 6.5, but ck you vacume in gear, divide in half to get the right one, as far as plugs are concerned I like accels have been using them for years, easier to get from a speed shop and seem to last forever, Rob
the rear is blocked off. i have a 6.5 in the front. it just fouls plugs when it gets humid. i may try to go down 2 sizes front and rear.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered

If you are fouling pluds when get humid, it's overlly rich, try going down 4 sizes ft and rear...should get you close, if you are fouling you are way rich anyway...Rob
Old 07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think you are on the right track with the reduction in jets. NGK plugs are good, try the -9's.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Aren't 9's colder in NGK's? I understand if he gets his jetting correct, but wouldn't he just be making it worse going to a colder plug? defeating the jetting. I run NGK UR5's (Vgroove) which is a pretty hot plug.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Aren't 9's colder in NGK's? I understand if he gets his jetting correct, but wouldn't he just be making it worse going to a colder plug? defeating the jetting. I run NGK UR5's (Vgroove) which is a pretty hot plug.
9 are pretty cold, I ran them a few time with a 475 shot,was a dark grey, the 8 did better

is it fouling just at idle?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woops...them maybe try the -7's. I have run the -7, -8 and -9 and ended up with the -8's.
If you are running the 3-circuit Dominators you are likely going to fight rich in the mid-range forever. If you are, consider selling this carb an get the 1050 or 1150 2-circuit.
I run PV's (PV's are opening late at 5300 RPM+) front and rear with 87 X 88 jets.
Testing with a A/F ratio gauge, we am real close to our A/F ratio targets. I am still messing with the idle circuits so not quite finished with the final jetting.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
What engines do you have? I have 500EFI's and was told to use NGK 5YR or NGK 5UR if long idles/no wake zones. Does this advice sound correct?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
What engines do you have? I have 500EFI's and was told to use NGK 5YR or NGK 5UR if long idles/no wake zones. Does this advice sound correct?
I have 590HP carb'd 454's. I have about a 25 min idle from the launch to Lake MI and 45 min idle to the Party Cove. I have run the same plugs for 6 years and have never had a problem. JimV told me to run them and he puts them in a lot of engines.

Quick Reply: spark plug advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.