Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water in #6 and a small shake - Best guess on cause? >

Water in #6 and a small shake - Best guess on cause?

Notices

Water in #6 and a small shake - Best guess on cause?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water in #6 and a small shake - Best guess on cause?

Water in #6 !!! Here is what happened:

When I started up cold Saturday morn, the motor must have had a tiny bit of water in cyl because it hesitated once in the crank cycle. I thought the battery was low as that is what it sounded like while cranking. But it started fine.
I then drove 15 miles and put gas in boat. Motor started 100% fine after fueling up. After a 45 mile run, I shut off and drop anchor. After about 10 minutes I started up again for a minute. Started fine, but I "kinda" thought it sound just ever so slightly "off". Like "maybe" there was a slight miss - maybe?!?!?

We partied for about 2-3 hours and I try to start my motor. Starts to crank (not start) then locks up. I find that only #6 is full of water. Remove plug and crank to remove water (Thought is to clear water and run home) good amount of water comes out. Wait a few minutes, and repeat - a little bit of water comes out. Wait a few more minutes, and repeat - a little bit of water comes out. Wait a few more minutes, and repeat - a little bit of water comes out. At first I thought headers were leaking. Did pressure test Sunday, headers are 100% fine. There is some water in oil. Noticed oil level was about 1 quart over full, still looked good on dip stick though. But on the bottom of the oil fill caps on valve covers - milkshake!

Not that it matters, but motors are run 99% of the time @ 3500 - 4000 RPM and maybe 10 minutes total time WOT. Motors have 100 hours on rebuild - they have not been run hard and have had better care than most people care for their kids.

So I limped back at 7 - 8 mph. Now THAT sucked!!

So I am thinking I have either a blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked block. Any ideas?

PS: Boat is now in NC in the care of Joey Griffin as he is the one that built the motors. I guess I'll hear what the problem is in a few days, but still curious to hear from all the motor wizards what the best guess is.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 08-11-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks Bill. Hope it's not major.

Almost have the prototype t-stat housing ready. It's looking GOOD....
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep me in mind. I'll want a set (if they are not astronomical)

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron