engine bay cleaning and painting

Notices

engine bay cleaning and painting

Old 03-04-2002, 03:11 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine bay cleaning and painting

what do you recommend to get all the funk out of an engine bay? I used that stuff you dump in and pump out and it worked ok. But i want to get it spic and span while eth engien is out. I also want to paint it. I would like to get a smoother appearance to it as well as make it look cleaner. Currently the glass is kind of stained and funky in spots.

SO what do you recommend. I would prefer to spray it on (love to use the compressor and spray gun)

I am also plannign on doing my engine itself. What do you recommend to strip all the old paint and rust off? One of those wire bursh wheels and drill? I even saw a small light duty sandblaster kit the other day for $65 would that be overkill? And is there a paint that woudl work well on the engine and on the engien bay?

thanks
Old 03-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

i like playing with my compressor and spray gun too so while my engine was out, i sprayed paint thinner in the engine compartment. then used a rag later with more thinner and wiped it clean. the fumes aare an added bonus. permatex gasket remover in a spray can strips just about anything, paint included. just have to let it soak.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

I've cleaned my engine bay so you can picnic on the floor. When the engine was out, I scrubbed all I could with 409 and degreaser, then washed it completely down with soap and water. Now I removed the bilge pump and hoses, wires, etc. Next at west marine I bought a poly paint in a blue container that is bullet proof and works wonderful. It covers all the stains and washes down very easily.
The bay looks beautiful, so try it!
Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Registered

Simple Green and HOT water.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:32 PM
boater31

i just redid my bilge and after i scrubbed it good, i used acetone and it stripped it great. opened up the gelcoat so my primer would bond good. for paint i used awlgrips brush on series and i am very pleased w/ the results. if you want to strip the paint on your block, go to walmart and get a paint stripper by the name of Dad's. i tried others but nothing worked as well as this brand. sprayed it on and washed off 30 min later and had a bare block. when you get everything assembled and ready to paint, spray the whole thing down good w/ starting fluid w/ no oils added. it will lift any grease you might have missed in the cracks. then prime w/ etching primer and paint. if you want a custom job, use the house of colors paint. you have to put on a base, then a candy color then a clear. it holds up great. tommy at chief engines uses their paint as well.