509 Merlin World Teague 620

Notices

509 Merlin World Teague 620

Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 509 Merlin World Teague 620

Once again the newbe needs some input i had a ring gear replaced and a starter one month ago, the starter lasted three days and my shop said the front of the starter exploded. laided up for three weeks with a bad out drive first time out starter again is there a problem or a trick i should be aware of so maybe i can get a few more days in before the season ends.
Rich
Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a lot of trouble with the GM style gear drive starter. Is that what you have? I'm currently using Hitachi style high torque starters. Three years no problems.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Srarter Issue

Petri yacht i don't know looked like a standatd gm before the first one was replaced shop said they use only SERA now they are looking into a stronger one. Were did you get yours and what is it called .
Thanks For Your input Richard Cuny
Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it one of those big 40lb starters? I haven't tried one of those. My marine mechanic had a couple of high torque marine starters for a good price so I bought them. Don't know the brand, they didn't have labels. Check with Summit or Jegs. The Hitachi style is the one with the rectangular mounting block drilled for multiple applications.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If by the front of the starter exploded you mean the aluminum housing broke, I suspect "Kick back". Make sure your base timing is not set too far advanced and that your secondary ignition is not cross firing between cylinders. Thats the usual causes of a broken drive end housing.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Up Date

MY MARINE SHOP PUT ANOTHER ONE IN TODAY IT ALSO EXPLODED THEY ASSURED ME TIMING IS CORRECT THEY ARE WAITING A CALL BACK FROM BOB TEAGUE AND BY THE WAY IT WAS A CAST FRONT MOUNT NOT A REAL GOOD ONE THEY JUST WANTED TO CHECK TO SEE IF THERE RING GEAR WAS CORRECT THEY SAID ENGAGEMENT IS NOT CORRECT, UNLESS A LONGER NOSE IS AVIABLE MAY HAVE TO REMOVE ENGINE.
RICH
PS excuse the caps
Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

If you have one of the big starters that requires a brace to the block, make sure it is on and tight. Without it this will keep happening.

I have not really seen any problems (nose nreakage) like this with the modern high torque 'mini starter' from GM.

Other things than can cause this kick back and breakage:
Weak/ dead / too small cranking amp batteries
starter 'power' too weak for cranking requirements
Improper engine ground
Too small wire or bad connection from battery to starter
Water in cylinders keeping engine from wanting to rotate
Way to much initial timing for the starter,battery

====================================

Sounds like your mechanic is not used to high performance engines. Too bad - he could keep chasing his tail while your wallet empties and your patience goes thin.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default starter

SB
Thanks for your input shop is into big power and speed they are on our site (speed racer). Engine coming out tomarrow to check engagement. I will keep you posted.
Rich
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Gotch ya'. If they know what they are doing (I don't know them) I mean no disrespect at all.

We all get into hair pulling experiences more than we care to.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Registered

i see a lot of these that got water in the cylinders and the first thing to happen is to blow off the front housing on the starter.

Quick Reply: 509 Merlin World Teague 620

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.