500HP rebuild help.......... >

500HP rebuild help..........

Notices

500HP rebuild help..........

Old 08-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500HP rebuild help..........

I am going to pull it this winter and go through the bottom end. I already did the heads last year about 25hrs ago. Thinking about changing cams. Sugestions here please. Also am going to replace rollers with Isky's I think. Hope to not have to replace pistons but if I do am going back with JE. Any good ideas to pick up some power. I am also going to put on an M1 procharger with intercooler. I plan to dyno tune it before instalation.Going with the Carb Shop on a new Holley and hat for blow through. Do I need to replace oil cooler or does the hp series have a big enough one.Any suggestions from experience would be great

Thanks

Justin Lowe

p.s. engine has 430hrs on it now and i was scared to just throw the procharger on top of it.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

nobody got any ideas
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Registered

For cam selection, best to contact RMBuilder... he seems to be the man for cams. I'll be hitting him up in a few months for my winter project.

As for doing the blow through... I am personally gonna have Nickerson do the carbs on mine.

I dont know about the oil coolers though... I'm sure someone here has already done this and will chime in.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto pn contacting rmbuilder- Bob Madara. You can PM him or here's his e-mail address.
[email protected]
The cam you select has alot to do with your heads and exhaust as well as the hull you're running and how you use it. You'd cam different for light vs. heavy hulls and desired RPM ranges of your cruise and WOT. Camming to the exhaust will also prevent engine-destroying reversion. If you're going forced induction, consider an aluminum head. Not only will you get much better flows, you'll also be able to run a bit more timing due to the thermodynamic efficiency of the material. It's the cheapest 100 horsepower you can buy. There's no such thing as too much oil cooler. Read this and follow all of it- http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...3&page=1&pp=20 .
Forget the Isky's. Bob will tell you all about the new Morels. I don't know what pistons it has in it now but if you're going to a blower, put the JE's in it now and save yourself the hassle and expense ofg buying them- and all the rest of your engine's parts- later
Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

Thanks guys It already has JE's In it. I will check with Bob on cam and rollers.
What are the best aluminum heads to use and who has the best price on them.
I talked to both the Carb Shop and Nickerson on carbs. I kinda liked some of the guys ideas at the carb shop better. Both came highly recomended.

Thanks
Justin
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The AFR 315 CNC's are excellent on that motor but others will also work well. You may not need to spring the extra grand for the cnc option. Bob will guide you. The big thing you need with a blower is a high intake/exhaust port flow ratio- essentially high-flowing exhausts without having cavernous intake ports.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Registered

If I do aluminum heads and a cam change, Will the Gil exhaust that is on the motor breath it well enough?

I intend to buck up and get a thermostat oil cooler.
Going to beef up all the fuel lines.
Any thing else I am missing?
Thanks
Justin
Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

I talked to Bob at Marine Kinetics yesterday. All I can say is he seems to be willing to go the extra mile to help. What a great guy! I guess it will be AFR heads and a custom grind can from him. He didn't want to see me make any mistakes so he is going to guide the build all the way through.

Thanks for the time on the phone Bob, I will talk to you soon.

Also thanks for the referral guys.

Justin
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlowe
I talked to Bob at Marine Kinetics yesterday. All I can say is he seems to be willing to go the extra mile to help. What a great guy! I guess it will be AFR heads and a custom grind can from him. He didn't want to see me make any mistakes so he is going to guide the build all the way through.

Thanks for the time on the phone Bob, I will talk to you soon.

Also thanks for the referral guys.

Justin
I think I will be calling him soon also .