Crane Cam 134561 Feedback >

Crane Cam 134561 Feedback

Notices

Crane Cam 134561 Feedback

Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crane Cam 134561 Feedback

Hey Guys, this is my first post on OSO (I think). I'm building a 454 030 over engine for a 234 Eliminator Edge Mod-VP Hull that I purchased a couple of years ago. Still working on doing some hull repair. I realize I don't have the best combo, so go easy on me please. I'm still learning.

I'm looking for feedback on this cam. I've not installed it yet, and from doing searches here on OSO, it looks like it may have a reversion problem? RMBuilder said he was going to get some opinions on feedback from people who were running this grind, but I never saw it posted. Should I send it back to Summit for a different grind, or run it.

You guys probably know these grinds by heart.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 296/306
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 236/246
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .553/.571 - 1.7 Ratio Rocker
LSA/ICL: 114/109
Rec RPM range 3000-6000

Current Combo
Stock Cast Bottom End
Balanced Rotating Assembly
3/8" Rods with Polished Beams (done by me)
ARP Rod Bolts
L2465F TRW Pistons w/pressed pins
Total Seal Rings
Untouched 353049 Oval Port Heads 2.06/1.72
Long Slot Stamped 1.7 Rockers
Team G single plane oval port
850 Edelbrock #1910 (Qjet style) carb
Stock Merc Manifolds & Risers (would like to upgrade but don't know to what just yet)
Bravo 1
25p Mirage Prop

Last edited by JoeBro; 08-28-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered

Hello,
I think that is too much cam for what you have.. do a search on here on 454 camshafts.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I used this cam in a 454 with IMCO exhaust and had a minor reversion problem. Had silent choice with the short riser which did not make things any better for the reversion. Not sure how it would have been with longer risers. In my opinion I would either go with the next step down/milder or go with a hyd. roller.

Mark
Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

I think thats a good starting point for your build. You just need to do something with that exhaust. You'll need to pick an exhaust that mixes the water as close to the transom as possible. If you are going to stay with this exhaut for now there are things you could do to control the reversion like advance the cam a few degrees, run pcv valves, keep idle high things like that. But they are all just a suboptimal bandaid.

You didn't mention what your goal was.... if is is max top end speed, I would keep the cam and address the exhaust. If it is reliability and cruise, I would pick a cam like the 365hpmag cam and keep the exhaust.

Also, make sure you run inconnel exhaust valves like manly extreme duty or faria and severe duty manlys on the intakes. No skimping here if you plan to do any WOT running or have a risk of reversion.

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 08-30-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

Hi guys. How much hp can be made with that combo?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caybraca
Hi guys. How much hp can be made with that combo?
With a set of CMI's to control the reversion. Add a 1" carb spacer, I would put that engine at a consercative 470 - 500HP @ 5700, maybe a little more, but the torque in the midrange is going to be like adding an engine. I didn't look up the pistons, but I am assuming he is putting enough comp to get it between 9.7 & 10:1.

He has to get rid of that crap exhaust though or it won't make it out of the marina.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I think thats a good starting point for your build. You just need to do something with that exhaust. You'll need to pick an exhaust that mixes the water as close to the transom as possible. If you are going to stay with this exhaut for now there are things you could do to control the reversion like advance the cam a few degrees, run pcv valves, keep idle high things like that. But they are all just a suboptimal bandaid.

You didn't mention what your goal was.... if is is max top end speed, I would keep the cam and address the exhaust. If it is reliability and cruise, I would pick a cam like the 365hpmag cam and keep the exhaust.

Also, make sure you run inconnel exhaust valves like manly extreme duty or faria and severe duty manlys on the intakes. No skimping here if you plan to do any WOT running or have a risk of reversion.

BT

A carbed 502 cam works pretty good also.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You should upgrade your exhaust and get Rmbuilder to cut you a real cam and wake that little ole engine up.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Registered

Woohoo!,...I got feedback. You guys had me worried there a second. Yep, I'd like to opt for a custom cam, but I'm not looking for that last few mph's. I'm sure rmbuilder could work wonders from his experience in the marine industry....at least that's what I've read about him. I just don't have the money and especially don't want to waste his time,...where other folks that can afford his services should be his main concern.

I'm guessing this combination is probably real similar to many others out there. Looks like it's a lot easier to over-do the small things on marine engine (like the cam) where the limiting factor falls elswhere (stock manifolds), bigger$$. Maybe someday I can get some CMI's.

The boat will be used for an occasional short top end run, so I should build the motor for reliability and cruising if truth be known. The "Hot Rod" in me can't resist a few performance parts though, and the semi-radical idle of a BBC. That's the reason for the 'bigger-than-needed" cam. I was just wanting to make sure it didn't rot out my exhaust ports and pop a valve.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Comp Ratio,...after all my super precise cc'ing ,...I calclulated an avg static of 9.23 to 1. From what I recall, I think information on the pistons assume at 119cc and 0.00 deck height 10 to 1. But I didn't have zero deck height, and I smoothed the edges of the domes to help control any pre-ignition problems the engine might have.

Again thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Crane Cam 134561 Feedback

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.