Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Teague Motors >

Teague Motors

Notices

Teague Motors

Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Eickert is a 2 hour drive from Rob now so if they can come to terms on a motor solution, that would be the berries. We'll find out this week if Onken/Eickert will also handle the rigging and installation. I agree that there is no need to go cross country. There are plenty of choices here in the Mid-West. My choice would be Eddie Young based off of personal references, but it's not my boat/money...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
There are way too many well-known premium engine builders close to you. Why go cross country? And, in a midrange horsepower engine, there aren't any proprietary technologies. One is going to be built out of virtually identical parts as the other and assembled the same way.

Myself, I'd want a guy that can do the whole job. You can take the world's best engine and installed/rigged improperly is going to have issues. I also don't want to have warranty coverage excluded due to improper installation issues.

No knock on Teague- he builds good stuff. But for me, I see value in dealing with a guy who can supervise the whole job and see any issue I might have first-hand. Even if it's an day- long tow. It's better than removing and crating up an engine and freighting it to California.

Now, if you have a competemt HP rigger you're using, that's a different story. But they usually have relationships with good builders.

You've got Wesco by you, Gellner is a short drive to Cleveland and Eddie Young isn't much further. Teague is good, but he can't do anything better than any of these guys.
I think that is very good advise. I have seen more "go wrong" when you have a different engine builder than rigger. Plus once you get into water tuning it is better to have it all close by.

Eddie Young did mine and he was thinking about rigging issues (fuel line upgrades, drive setup, steering, etc) while he was building my engine. It all came together at once and was all his work. Now if I were to have a problem and warranty was an issue, I could take the whole thing to Eddie within a day.

So far all I have had to do is put gas in, change the vital fluids and enjoy.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default one stop shop

The guys are right, its usually better to find a qualified local shop that can do it all for you and is accessable for after sales service and tuning. I agree with that philosophy and after repowering many times its easier to deal with a local shop. I also agree that a marinized big block chevy isnt a proprietary project with custom engineering required.

That said, your question was about the Teague 620 and experience with it/Teague- NOT who builds package similar to it and can rig it.

There are a lot of quality builders and Im sure the local ones being mentioned are great, but to say they can and do everything Teague does is minimizing just how good Teague really is.

<Note - I agree with Chris Sunken at about the 95% + range but I would not say the other guys he lists can do everything Teague does.>

Can Wesco get the same discount from CMI as Teague?

- Gellner splits their discipline between marine and auto whereas teague is dedicated.

Eddie Young as qualified as he /they are doesn't have a drive supply contract with Ilmor that I know of (a highly difficult thing to achieve)

Teague is marine specialized and has the quad combo of- R&D, manufacturing capabilities, machining capabilities, and reseller contracts that are specialized to the marine industry. VERY few can match them.

I doubt any but Keith Eickert have anywhere near the (marine) volume of Teague which translates into faster cheaper builds for the same relative parts.

This is all to say feel buying from Teague is like the old adage that no ever got fired for buying IBM.

(Note: Im NOT trying to start a thread war with guys that have a zillion posts )

Ok, now that Ive said that, its also wirth mentioning opinions on "Bob Teague the man" vary wildly.

Personally the guy has been really cool to me and people I deal with like him a lot, but there is an old joke told around So cal-lakes and rivers.

Whats the difference between God and Bob Teague? God doesn't pretend to be Bob Teague.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 - Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor-700/Kawi-KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

I don't think that anyone was slamming Teague, just offering some friendly advice on other options that are closer to the customer

Another thing nice about some of the smaller shops is that the true engine builder does all of the work.

I was over at Eddie's shop the other day and he is building some motors in that hp range that will go at a VERY good deal. You really should check them out.

I am sure that Teague gets some nice discounts but the CMI's that Eddie put on my motor did not cost me any more than if I got them from Teague.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

I agree with everything you are saying, and I pretty much led with that in my post to RJBBC

Eddie is awesome, is a qualified pro, and can works ski boat to superboat level rides, I've seen boats powered by his stuff at Havasu, and he does great work.

What I took 9000 to many words to say was more to Chris's point that Teague does stand out as the only actual manufacturer of the group, and their volume (which JBBC mentions himself) can be a differentiator between vendors.

it was early morning to much coffee before posting..........

Check out my new ride in the Laveycraft forum!

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I agree with everything you are saying, and I pretty much led with that in my post to RJBBC

Eddie is awesome, is a qualified pro, and can works ski boat to superboat level rides, I've seen boats powered by his stuff at Havasu, and he does great work.

What I took 9000 to many words to say was more to Chris's point that Teague does stand out as the only actual manufacturer of the group, and their volume (which JBBC mentions himself) can be a differentiator between vendors.

it was early morning to much coffee before posting..........

Check out my new ride in the Laveycraft forum!

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
That new ride ought to be a blast. I have always wanted to drive a Laveycraft. I have heard good things about them. Is sounds like your will be decked out.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The guys are right, its usually better to find a qualified local shop that can do it all for you and is accessable for after sales service and tuning. I agree with that philosophy and after repowering many times its easier to deal with a local shop. I also agree that a marinized big block chevy isnt a proprietary project with custom engineering required.

That said, your question was about the Teague 620 and experience with it/Teague- NOT who builds package similar to it and can rig it.

There are a lot of quality builders and Im sure the local ones being mentioned are great, but to say they can and do everything Teague does is minimizing just how good Teague really is.

<Note - I agree with Chris Sunken at about the 95% + range but I would not say the other guys he lists can do everything Teague does.>

Can Wesco get the same discount from CMI as Teague?

- Gellner splits their discipline between marine and auto whereas teague is dedicated.

Eddie Young as qualified as he /they are doesn't have a drive supply contract with Ilmor that I know of (a highly difficult thing to achieve)

Teague is marine specialized and has the quad combo of- R&D, manufacturing capabilities, machining capabilities, and reseller contracts that are specialized to the marine industry. VERY few can match them.

I doubt any but Keith Eickert have anywhere near the (marine) volume of Teague which translates into faster cheaper builds for the same relative parts.

This is all to say feel buying from Teague is like the old adage that no ever got fired for buying IBM.

(Note: Im NOT trying to start a thread war with guys that have a zillion posts )

Ok, now that Ive said that, its also wirth mentioning opinions on "Bob Teague the man" vary wildly.

Personally the guy has been really cool to me and people I deal with like him a lot, but there is an old joke told around So cal-lakes and rivers.

Whats the difference between God and Bob Teague? God doesn't pretend to be Bob Teague.

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
I make EVERYTHING run! We just won in New York City SBI offshore race this past weekend. On our way to another National Championship again in offshore racing! Let's just say we have been around longer than all of them. I am dedicated to winning in all aspects of engine building.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is Eickert moving to WI? his kustomengines.com site is down. Saw he is using small blocks with Wegner (sp?) in Wisconsin???
Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dkwestern
is Eickert moving to WI? his kustomengines.com site is down. Saw he is using small blocks with Wegner (sp?) in Wisconsin???
Keith moved to Ill. and the shop is almost finished........ Next stop Cleveland.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by dkwestern
Site will be updated and brought back up to reflect his new affiliation with Onken Racing out of Easton, IL. As of last week, the new shop is pretty much complete with the exception of the 2 dyno rooms. Expectations are for one dyno to be functional by month's end. I believe there may be one remaining truck full of equipment that still needs to make its way up North from Florida.

Quick Reply: Teague Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.