Does anybody know how to remove rev limiter >

Does anybody know how to remove rev limiter

Notices

Does anybody know how to remove rev limiter

Old 03-05-2002, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody know how to remove rev limiter

Does anybody know how to or know of somebody that knows how to disable the built in rev limiting ability of the Thunderbolt Five ignition system. It is factory set at 5050 rpm. I need to get my motor spinning to 5400. I have the power to do so.I already know that I can replace ignition system with MSD etc. to achieve this but I want to retain knock sensor feature that this sytem has.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Dave

P.S. This is a 454 Magnum carbed engine with a Whipplecharger.It has a stock bottom end with modified cyl heads. It does not have an ECM. The module in question is bolted to the side of the dist. I have an idea about putting a resistor in the line somewhere to fool it. I was just wondering if anyone out there has done this.

Last edited by Bigwavz; 03-05-2002 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

You will have to send in the ECM to have it reprogrammed. If you've added a lot more power, you should do this anyway. If you haven't done any major internal mods, then you shouldn't spin it much faster anyway.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

This may be a dumb question but have you asked Dustin? Seems to me he must have to deal with this on a regular basis. ECM programming is part of installation on the fuel injected engines. If there is some simple way to do this he should know and be willing to help you out.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:57 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to Jim at Arizonia Speed and marine, They reprogram ECU's all the time. They are in Chandler Arizonia, their add is always in Power Boat , or Hot Boat, also in Poker Run Mag.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:17 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

The way I understand what bigwavz is talking about is that he has an ignition module attached to the side of his distributor, not an e.c.u. As he stated the motor has a carb., not injection. I am not 100% sure on this, but I am almost certain that you can not change the rev limiter in this type of ignition module. I would have to say the best way around this is to get an aftermarket distributor.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there is any way to disable the rev limiter. You can replace the module with a TB IV module but you also lose the knock sensor. You can add an aftermarket rev limiter, but that doesn't help with the knock sensor problem.

Bob
Old 03-05-2002, 09:35 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

not sure if this would work the same way or not but back in my jetskiing days we would be able to get rid of the rev limiters on those sealed units by drilling out a certain spot on the module....I think it would work the same in this application just need to find someone who knows what they are doing with those!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-06-2002, 01:41 PM
gene

Dave
I have been looking for an economical solution for this broblem also. Arizona Speed wants big bucks to reprogram these modules. So if you find a solution please post it. My limiter cuts in at 4600 so I would be interested in buying your module if you dont need it for your fix.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

gene,
Tell me what engine setup you currently have and any other details I might need to know.

Dave
Old 03-07-2002, 09:07 AM
gene

Dave, I started with the basic 96 Mercruser gen V 300 hp 7.4L. I've gone to 9.6 to 1 pistons, an 850 holley double pumper, performer rpm intake, merlin oval port heads and a 224/230 roller cam. I'm obviously making some good hp above 4600 rpm but like you I can't get to it. I don't want to spin much past 5000 rpm so your module would do the trick for me. I bought a V6 module on ebay but it arrived D.O.A.
Gene

Quick Reply: Does anybody know how to remove rev limiter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.