Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Want to supercharge my 454mag >

Want to supercharge my 454mag

Notices

Want to supercharge my 454mag

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a Whipple dealer, located in Texas. Not sure where you are but would be glad to help you out. Feel free to call me with any questions. 830 6935591

Bob
Full Throttle Marine
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
You can blow your motor up if you don't set it up right. It is really not that big of a deal though. Once you get it tuned it is turn key. I have lots of friends that have done them. Mine handles great around the docks.

I had to make a few calls to Jamie here on the 502 mag. All questions were answered quickly and then it was done.

I have some friends that have had great success with the Whipple as well.

I ran a 7,000 lb single engine boat for 3 seasons on a Bravo I. Take it wasy out of the hole and don't stuff the throttle. Long term the XR is the answer.

I would recommend buying from Jamie. With some dealers the support is not there. If you end up talking to Procharger, you will not be talking to someone that has set up as many as Jamie. It is better to have access to someone responsive and knowledgable on the phone.

Thanks Bill... Jamie
Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
The M-3 you got me is still going strong! It worked great with the stock 502 Mag setup.

Of course after a few seasons it was time to step it up a bit. That is what I liked about using a M-3 as the base setup.
Looks even better in the boat! Wish mine was haulin ass. Hopefully soon. I'll let all the yahoos get winterized and get Eddie back out there!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ridin-Dirty
Grog... Is there anybody you would recommend in the area as far as installation or have your heard of any reputable shop/mechanics in the area?
None that I have personal experience with. The shop that did mine did a nice job with the ECU program, but cut corners on everything else. I got tired of taking it back to them because they were way across town and kept my boat forever. I eventually worked out the bugs myself in my garage. None of the problems were caused by the SC kit. They were all due to sloppy workmanship and laziness. They had my boat in their shop for probably 6 months total to do a SC install. It was ridiculous.

I think a good initial setup (ECU, timing, fuel pressure) is key. Mine was good from the start. I get no transom soot, nice color on the spark plugs, and a smooth idle. It behaves just like stock power....until you start laying down the throttle.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a ROOTS BLOWER.... can the same performance be achieved and is there a major $$$price difference? I've come across a few USED superchargers... would I be gambling by looking at a used system?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Don't even think about adding a supercharger with out adding an oil temp gauge. It may save your engine. Your oil system should be able to keep your temps down to 240 at full throttle on extended runs . Don't ever let it go over 280. Something is wrong if it runs that hot.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Roots blowers work, but they are not as efficent as a procharger or a screw style like a whipple. ALso used is VERY buyer beware. Some are a deal, others end up costing you way more than RETAIL before you are done. I suggest getting a new one for your specific application no matter which one you choose or where you buy it.. It is the safer way to go.. Jamie
Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridin-Dirty
I'm glad I am getting posts from people with REAL TIME supercharging experience. Many people have given me a sense of negativity on supercharging (mainly that I am going to blow the motor, longevity of the motor cut in half, blow the drive), and of course not one of them have a supercharger installed........I guess too scared from the horror stories.
I have a 454 Mag ProCharged M3SC and Modified. This is my second build on the motor 4200 lb 720 hp dynoed in a 280 Velocity I run a solid 85 mph and have almost hit 90mph stock was 70 mph. You do have to be concerned about the drive, it is the week link as I have learned. I currently run a B-Max. The stock motor will be good for a year or so depending how you drive it and the number of hours on it now. If I had to do it again and had the budget I would do the rebuild. upgrade head gaskets (I am now O-Ringed) I blew Kometicts at 250 hours. Good pistons and Iconel valves. You will do it eventually. And dyno it. Find someone who will run it as installed in the boat completely dressed as you would bolt it in yours. I used Tyler Crocket, Thanks Tyler. The computer also needs to be reflashed based on what the dyno tells you. I would install a Fuel pressure gauge and a boost gauge. My $.02
Old 09-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

You did mention engine life,don't plan on running a supercharged engine without expecting to cut the rebuild span by at least 1/2 if not to a 1/4 depending on how much boost and how often you are in the boost. A 454/502 mag will normally last 400-600 hrs between rebuilds,ran hard 100-150 hours is about it,ran conservatively (with the ecu tuned perfect) you could see 200-250. My 502 m-3sc procharged 502 was still tight at 100 hours,at 175 it was burning oil and leaking from just about every gasket from blowby, (7-9 psi boost)I rebuild my 540 every 100-125 hours now,12 psi boost at wot,Smitty
Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started out with a 1989mag.First put Stellings on it,that was around 2-3,then Merlin heads,crower 1.8 rockers,msd,total mph was 6-8.Ran it for 4 years around 220hr

then tore down and rebuilt,all new stuff, valves,springs,push rods,oil pump etc.... stock mag short block,went with 8.71Littlefeild 8lbs,pfm innercooler,a fair blower cam,2 barrygrant gold claws,775cfm,ported the merlins,Gil oil pan,teague oil cooler,ati,stock bottom end,30 over,made 767hp,ran about 4 seasons,changed too big ofa cam,1050s,12lbs, 828hp at 7200. 28 Scarab,then broke drives then.

I had the Scarab 12 years,sold boat 2001 with 500+hr,no blower,buddy bought it then sold it with 750+The Motor is still running I kept the blower motor,put the mag back
Attached Thumbnails Want to supercharge my 454mag-scarab-1989-28f0019-2.jpg   Want to supercharge my 454mag-scarab-engine-clear-pick-large-.jpg   Want to supercharge my 454mag-egine-stand-003.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 09-18-2008 at 05:41 PM.