525's water in oil and headers >

525's water in oil and headers

Notices

525's water in oil and headers

Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Whoa! here boys, you guys are slinging more information at this guy than is needed or is applicable possibly!

Sonic28:

Lets get some more factual information here, 1. You say your compression test netted 170-175lbs of compression in each cylinder with only 3% leakdown, I am a little suspicious here, a brand new Mercury Racing HP525 will only have about 160-165lbs of compression right out of the crate, so how is yours higher? 2. You indicate your two HP525's are in a staggered mount whcih means I believe the port engine has the long exhaust extensions going back to the transom. I have heard that these installs without support braces at the back of the motors or along the long extensions, that the weight of extensions unsupported with flex and shake in the pipes has caused some cracking on headers in staggered installs with HP525's. I would suspect that may be why the headers cracked. Is that the side where the headers developed cracks or did the starboard short side engine headers also crack?? I was also unaware that installs were done with staggered HP525's and captains call switchable exhaust.
I could be wrong here but I think Mercury Racing as indicated to builders and Mercury Racing engine dealers not to run Captains call switchable type systems on staggered HP525 twin packages. Who put the Captains Call switchable exhaust on the installation and when was it done? I guess I should also ask how old the boat is and how long did it run before the problems appeared?
As far as damaging rings, pistons or valves, if any of that has happened, your compression should not be that good in all cylinders and especialy with measured leakdowns at 3%.
Yes you do need to get all the water and contamination out of the motors to prevent any more damage and you should check oil pressures (hot & warm) to see if any possible oil pump or bearing damage has occured from water in the oil, resulting in lower than normal oil pressures.
When you get what appears to be most of the contamination out, do an oil test with a good firm and make sure the oil tests good for water and metals. If there is any serious damage inside the motors, the oil tests after running a few hours will show high metals content above expected norms and the water will also show up in the oil tests.
Don't throw the baby out yet with the bathwater, you may have dodged the engine damage bullet somewhat, but you need to make sure you are not going to have this condition show up again and do more damage!

Just some more questions and thoughts.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
1. You say your compression test netted 170-175lbs of compression in each cylinder with only 3% leakdown, I am a little suspicious here, a brand new Mercury Racing HP525 will only have about 160-165lbs of compression right out of the crate, so how is yours higher?

I have two different compression tester. It took me a while but I found out one always has higher pressure then the other. I just use the numbers between cylinders as a comparison.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm with Ray!

Seems very odd to have good, even compression and a very low leak-down and still have excessive crankcase pressure.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonic28
hi guys
the engines are staggered yes its all cmi with cmi silent choice. when I say open I mean thru transom.yes
i did do a preasure check on the closed system as well.
i beleive the water in the oil thats left was from the journals and will go away after a couple more flushs.Why and where could the blow by come from a crack in the piston when hot?could I have cracked it when the engine was hot and the water hit the piston if so why didn;t i suck a valve. When I run the boat its smooth no miss fire or skips.

i
Staggered engines in a 2004 Fountain 35 executioner? Until the "new" 35 2007/2008 Lightning, everything was side by side, as far as I know.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Registered

Question

sonic28
Bump?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 PM
1CE
Registered

Had water in oil caused by leaky intake gasket, residual water caused milk shake in oil, water and oil mix made "mud" in breathers, now no breathing, result excess crank case pressure, as a result oil forced up dip sticks, removed breathers, engine ran just fine, changed breathers, A-ok now ps-changed intake gaskets ! Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

Question What's The deal?

No water in the 496 intake manifold, so I don't think thats the case here. I hope Sonic28 will come back on our questions and I hope we who are trying to help are not being played here on OSO!