502MagMPI conversion to Carb

Notices

502MagMPI conversion to Carb

Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcarpman
Pat,

I am very interested in this project, as I'd love to go the other direction on my engine. After years of working with EFI both at GM as well as on my own, I'm completely in awe at just how HORRIBLE a job a carb does even when it's tuned "perfectly". Cyl-cyl fuel balance is horrible, resulting in having to run the entire engine way richer than it should need. If you keep the manifold cool for max power, it kills idle and fuel economy. If you size the carb right for part throttle, you lose 20hp on top....etc, etc. All compromises I NEVER had to deal with on EFI.

I wish I was near you. I'd love to be able to help you out. I want to get some experience with MEFI. One possible solution is to keep the complete fuel system, but change to an aftermarket ECU.

If you do go with the carb, I'll be interested in how much driveability you think you lose.
We are changing mine from EFI to carb to gain driveability and pick up the power we're losing by using the stock EFI manifold setup. We mad 501 hp on the dyno and ran out of manifold at 5200 rpm. Our driveability problem has to do with getting the fuel map correct at idle. When the engine was on the dyno, we had to send the ecu back and forth several times over several days to get the program close. We have it pretty well dialed up top, but the idle is just too rich and wants to load up. My engine guy did pick up some software, but without having it back on the dyno, we can't get id dialed. With the carb, we should be able to get it where it needs to be.

Overall, I think you can get EFI closer to dead on, but you have to have the right manifold setup, and you have to have it in the dyno making run after run to get it just right. That can turn into a pretty big financial investment for a 500 hp engine.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys I would rather run the EFI for sure.
I am just done putting money into this old MEFI-1 system.
If/when I go back to EFI, I'll use my newer MEFI-3 computer and harness.
I'll also have an O2 sensor bung added to the risers to double check the mixture.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't even imagine trying to calibrate any efi system by mail!!! Seems a lot of people around here try, and almost all turn into a nightmare. If you're going to try to modify an EFI engine, you HAVE to have the ability to monitor and change the calibration at the boat. Imagine trying to tune a carb through the mail everytime you needed to change a jet????

I've been hearing good things about this new MEFI TUNE system. I'm anxious to try it out. Some systems are easy to tune and some are clumsy, but ALL are easier to tune than a carb. The only reason people have trouble tuning an EFI is because they try to play around with too many variables at once or they just don't understand how an IC engine works. Of course this assumes the system is functioning correctly, and that's a BIG if when we're talking about electrons

You also have to have the right manifold to start with. Trying to make over 500hp with a manifold and throttle that are only made for 450hp max is always going to be an exercise in frustration.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have in my stockpile of parts an AZ Speed intake, throttle body, camshaft, and other parts from a 500EFI. It has been my plan for a while to rebuild my 502MagMPI into a 500EFI clone. Getting the proper calibration for that combo should not be a problem. We’ll see if I have the time and $$ this winter. Right now, I’d like to just get the thing running OK to finish out the last 6 weeks or so.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

I don't know iif it is to any help but how can a MEFI-1 get stuck in knock retard mode? If I recall correctly knock retard is controlled by the knockmodule which in a knock event delays the ignition trigger signal from the distributor IC to the ECU.
The ECU doesn't have a clue if there is knocking going on or not. That is how simple this generation of MEFI ecu's are.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Alex
I don't know iif it is to any help but how can a MEFI-1 get stuck in knock retard mode? If I recall correctly knock retard is controlled by the knockmodule which in a knock event delays the ignition trigger signal from the distributor IC to the ECU.
The ECU doesn't have a clue if there is knocking going on or not. That is how simple this generation of MEFI ecu's are.
My MEFI-1 ECU stopped communicating with the IC module there for the IC module takes over the timing control. The two fault codes are continuous knock and IC communication failure. What ever you want to call it the timing was retarded and the fuel mixture was way too rich…
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bcarpman
I can't even imagine trying to calibrate any efi system by mail!!! Seems a lot of people around here try, and almost all turn into a nightmare. If you're going to try to modify an EFI engine, you HAVE to have the ability to monitor and change the calibration at the boat. Imagine trying to tune a carb through the mail everytime you needed to change a jet????

I've been hearing good things about this new MEFI TUNE system. I'm anxious to try it out. Some systems are easy to tune and some are clumsy, but ALL are easier to tune than a carb. The only reason people have trouble tuning an EFI is because they try to play around with too many variables at once or they just don't understand how an IC engine works. Of course this assumes the system is functioning correctly, and that's a BIG if when we're talking about electrons

You also have to have the right manifold to start with. Trying to make over 500hp with a manifold and throttle that are only made for 450hp max is always going to be an exercise in frustration.
He is not doing a custom calibration, he has a stock eng with a stock ecm cal.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

Default efi vs carb

i have been also thinking about a change from efi to carb.what i want to know is how much fuel comsumption do you give up w/the carb?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Guys I would rather run the EFI for sure.
I am just done putting money into this old MEFI-1 system.
Pat,
Any chance you would let me test your MEFI1 ECM (no charge)? I have a test bench for MEFI 1 and 2 controllers, with knock module and everything. I am very curious about how/why yours failed.

Dave
Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Dave_N
Pat,
Any chance you would let me test your MEFI1 ECM (no charge)? I have a test bench for MEFI 1 and 2 controllers, with knock module and everything. I am very curious about how/why yours failed.

Dave
Sure Dave.
PM me your address, and I'll send it to ya.

Quick Reply: 502MagMPI conversion to Carb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.