Need HELP with lower unit >

Need HELP with lower unit

Notices

Need HELP with lower unit

Old 03-06-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP with lower unit

I have a mess on my hands. I determined that the carrier bearing (1988 bravo 1) needed to be changed due to water infiltration. I removed the large retaining nut, tab washer and started trying to get the carrier out. So far I've:

Bought the merc tool and it didn't work at all. The jaw just bent back

Made a puller with a harmonic balancer puller and some 12" bolts. Ground heads so the head make hooks. Hooks broke off.

Rented a slide hammer and hammered the crap out of it in all directions with heat and PB blaster. Nada

Bought a $100 extended reach external gear puller. Applied liberal PB blaster, heated housing, applied tension slowly while tapping end of prop shaft then, adding tension. Ripped ribs right off carrier assembly.

Now I have nothing to grab onto. Question; can I remove the prop shaft and carrier together? I was thinking of using a piece of large diameter tubing and some creative fixturing that would result in me being able to use the prop shaft nut as a puller, much like my manual says to pull a frozen prop shaft. Only difference is I need to pull the carrier, bearing, shaft and everything.

Any suggsetion would be waaaaaaaaaaay appreciated! I'm almost beat and you guys are my last hope. Maybe I am missing something obvious (i hope please, please, please).

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 03-06-2002 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hammering on the carrier doesn't work you need a steady pull. I always just used two prybars and wood blocks so as not to damage to drive case.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:43 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Sounds like you tried everything except dynamite!! Sorry, but I haven't got any other ideas either.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:41 PM
Registered

I like that idea tinkerboat. Kinda like a claw hammer pulling a nail. Now that I have all the ribs broke out I have plently of room for pry bars.

No input on it I can pull the carrier, propshaft and all in one operation?

I think whoever installed this carrier used loctite or something on it. I can see a little something on the carrier. Is that normal?

BT
Old 03-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

BT, yes you can pull on the prop shaft. In a pinch you can even use the prop nut. Pain in the butt as you have to keep adding to your stack. I have a tool we made with a thrust bearing for under the nut.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:10 PM
Registered

wow bummer Now you know why I am so hesitant to rip my lowers apart. I found my leak anyway. It was a bad counterbore fot the seal of the dip stick on my top cover. Did you see those parts on ebay? He was selling propshaft and carrier for $375 I think.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Registered

Tried your suggestion tinkerboat. Couldn't get a good grip with the prybar, so I drilled small holes to help. Ripped the end of the carrier housing off that holds the two seals. Nice try... no dice.

Thanks for the confirm mbam on using the prop shaft to pull the whole kip and cabotal out. I have no other play than that at this point. Started messing around with your idea using wood spacers just to see what would happen. Got nothing but crushed wood. Will need to switch to aluminum spacers. Gonna try some old alpha thrust washers to help with galling under nut.

Great news Formula31, glad to hear you found the problem. Avoid this deal like the plague. I'm pretty sure the carrier is my leaker now. When I ripped the seal housing to smitherings there was water/goo in between the two seals. Definately one of them, probably both had failed.

Thanks again for all the help. If you get anymore good ideas, let me know,

BT
Old 03-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Mine always just come apart with the pry bars and wood. I have never seen one stuck that bad. If you have an old prop put it on but put alot of shimms between the prop and the case then use big washers and a PROPNUT (brass will strip without damaging the shaft) to pull the whole assembly out -don't use the thrust washer. as it breaks loose add larger shimms between the prop and the case.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:12 AM
Registered

Drill two holes into the housing directly into the carrier it has 2 wing like areas(your not going to screw up the housing because it doesn't matter in this area) get a puller and make straps and bolt them to the carrier,pull off of the propshalf with your puller. Good luck Doug

Last edited by Dixie Doug; 03-08-2002 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A friend of mine does a lot of gearcases and he made up a slide hammer with threads to screw on to the end of the prop shaft and uses it to break the carrier loose before using a puller on the carrier, still use heat, I've used it on my Outboard cases and it works good, on them you can only pull the shaft out alittle ways but it breaks the carrier loose. I think on a Bravo you could pull it all the way out with the slide hammer. His shaft on the hammer is as large as the propshaft with an 8-10 pound slide.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Caleb

Quick Reply: Need HELP with lower unit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.