Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts >

Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts

Notices

Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts

Old 10-06-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the business of selling & servicing hydraulic equipment. No way would I ever sell a customer the parts to do their own repair. We live in a very litigious society and there's no way to know if that person is going to have any clue as to the proper procedures to effect the repair correctly. And I've learned the hard way- you don't have to be at fault to lose a civil suit. Sometimes you don't even have to be involved to get sucked in.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dana-

You never offered to fix the seals for free on the phone. So stop lying to the members.

This is not about money it’s about time. I’m not throwing my back out trying to open the hatch without the rams so you can replace the seals. I get that pleasure every time the pump solenoids let go. Try using better solenoids.

Bottom line is you refused to sell spare parts and can’t deny it. You lost my business and lots of others.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

People praising Dana might have forgotten or were not around when I called out Fred at a Trick Marine years ago. Everyone rushed to Fred’s aid. They all learned the hard way.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your time crunch is to winterize , why do you need the ram? Seems you have all winter do why not send it out? I have quite a few vendors that do not sell the repair parts. Doesn't make them bad vendors !!! Sounds like you need some cheese with that wine.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they're going to repair the cylinders for free, why not just send them back and be done with it. What do you gain by fighting with them, sometimes you just have to admit you're wrong and get it over with.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Dana has always been good to me, I can't beleive you are compairing them to trick, it's not like Dana took your money and you didn't recieve any goods. They have bent over backwords for me, I think the seal you really need is one for your lips, if they make them that big. Jesus Christ Dana tried to make it right but you are so hard headed to get those seals in to winterize WTF don't forget to fill those cylinders with anti freeze.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You spoke with Matt on the phone, and again, he was polite and explained the situation. My name is Bob.

We will not sell the seals. As previosuly mentioned, if there was a mis-understanding about the procedure on the cylinders, we do NOT charge customers to re-seal cylinders. No one is lying to anyone. I wasn't listening in on the phone conversation, but Matt is a very capable employee and he has no motive to create a problem. If he was not clear on the costing of the cylinders, I was in my last two post. There is no charge.

I know he certainly didn't quote you a price, because a price does not exist to quote. So any assumption of a charge would have been made by you.

Yes, we refused to sell the seals, I think everyone's got that. There's a good reason for it, and there's no need to go into details.

As far as the solenoids, we use Borg Warner products, and have extremely good results. We use an average of 3000 solenoids a year with absolutely none that have failed immediately. Some do fail over time, it's an electrical item, perfection cannot be expected. Out of the 30,000 solenoids we've used over the last 12 years, replacing 50-100 units doesn't seem so bad. Most of the failures were due to excessive corrosion.

As far as comparing Dana Marine Products to Trick Marine. That's a pretty funny thing to post. As you obviously are not aware, Dana Marine Products is not a fly-by-night shop such as the other mentioned failed company. As a matter of fact, we've been in business for over 35 years.

Dana Stettler started this company with a bandsaw, a belt sander, and a press brake. Starting from nothing and becoming an industry icon for over 35 years doesn't come because we conduct bad business. I'm not quite sure how the thread got started in this direction, but if you'd like to discuss our accomplishments and our business direction, get yourself a cup of joe, because we'll be here for quite some time.

The bottom line is, we're here to help.

Help us, help you. Send the cylinder back. I get your concern with the time thing, but what's the proposed alternative? Would you rather fix the cylinder incorrectly? -OR- have it fixed correctly so you won't have future problems?

Last edited by dana marine products; 10-08-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dana marine products
Unfortunately it is a liability issue. I can't do anything more than offer to repair them at no charge.

As it was explained to you on the phone, most likely there is some form of problem causing the leak. The rams generally don't leak on their own. It wouldn't do anyone any good to send you seals to repair a cylinder that most likely has some other problem. You would just end up twice as frustrated when it fails again.

The sales person you spoke with was friendly and he offered you a solution, which was to send the parts back and we would repair or replace them for free. Keep in mind these are a few years old, most companies don't comp repairs on parts this old.

It's unfortunate you feel the way you do, but I feel we offered you a completely reasonable and generous offer. I understand it may be slightly inconvenient to ship the part back, but it is the proper way to fix the problem.

Greed can't be applied to a situation where I'm losing money to fix a problem that exist for unknown reasons. Sight unseen I offered to fix the part at no charge. That doesn't quite fit the definition of greed.

In regards to lfting capacity. There is no across the board answer. There are several variables that determine the lifting capacity. Hinge placement, engine hatch length, engine hatch weight, engine hatch construction, etc.
WoW sounds more then fair & like some awesome customer service to me ,spend the $8.00 shipping and go on your merry way .
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hunster
If your time crunch is to winterize , why do you need the ram? Seems you have all winter do why not send it out?
Hey your close enough why don't you come over and lift the hatch for me in the spring and cleanup whatever oil dripped out of the lines all winter.

When I winterize its two days of work and it includes tearing down my lower outdrive. When the first sunny day comes all I do is uncover, install drain plugs, and launch.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

As far as the solenoids, we use Borg Warner products, and have extremely good results. We use an average of 3000 solenoids a year with absolutely none that have failed immediately. Some do fail over time, it's an electrical item, perfection cannot be expected. Out of the 30,000 solendois we've used over the last 12 years, replacing 50-100 units doesn't seem so bad. Most of the failures were due to excessive corrosion.
I’ve had three fail. Not a one had any corrosion. My boat is spotless. I recently replaced both with continuous duty solenoids insead of starter type and haven't had an issue since.

Help us, help you. Send the cylinder back. I get your concern with the time thing, but what's the proposed alternative? Would you rather fix the cylinder incorrectly? -OR- have it fixed correctly so you won't have future problems?
I'd rather you send out a cylinder and I'll return mine. You see when I work on the boat I get all the necessary parts together first. There is no way I'm wasting two weekends on this and lifting the hatch by hand yet again. I'll take it apart and look for a seal on my own first.

Quick Reply: Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.