Header Question >

Header Question

Notices

Header Question

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

Can someone explain how how Gil headers actually work?
I bought a 90 Checkmate and recently I filled 2 cylinders with water.
I am pulling the motor this weekend, and in taking off the headers, the left bank was full of water the right bank dry. When I tipped the left header over at least a cup to a cup and 1/2 of sand came out of the plumbing underneath the headers.
I plan to replace these with CMI but I would like to know how they work, and if this sand could have been the only issue.
As always any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 902 Posts

The sand is not the issue and wouldn't cause them to fill with water. The manifold is probably cracked.

How they work is water goes into the bottom of the manifold and then goes through the 1" connector hose between the manifold and riser. There may also be T fitting at the top of the manifold with 2 hoses going to it depending on the number hose coming out of the Tstat housing. Either way, no water mixes with exhaust until the end of the riser pipe.
If you've got that much water on one side only, its most likely a cracked manifold. gil's usually Crack at the top of the manifold where the cylinder divider is.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

After looking more closely, I can see they were welded along the bottom as if someone didnt winterize them and they cracked.
Call me thick, but I still dont understand how it gets to the cylinder.
Are there jackets in the manifold that keep them separate from the exhaust cavity? Could I have an internal crack that I couldnt see?

I guess it doesnt mater except that I do not want to do something while putting my new motor in that will cause this again.

Also is sand in the plumbing normal? After I am back together should I flush it regularly?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but I have been boating a long time but all my boats have been cruisers, and even though they have wet exhausts they have had closed systems with coolant running through the block and the external water is a separate system.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 902 Posts

Sand is pretty normal is you boat where tehre is a lot of sand and some shallow spots.

The water is not supposed to mix with the exhaust until the end of the riser. If the manifold is cracked internally, it will leak water to the bottom of the manifold where the exhaust ports are on the heads. As soon as you shut the boat off, water goes into the cylinders that have open exhaust valves.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a friend of mine with a triple engine boat all with those headers and had tons of issues with them cracking...had most of the welded and he said they mainly cracked in the same area...Rob