Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP) >

I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP)

Notices

I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP)

Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Did you change the slip links on the carburetors to 1:1 or are you still using the standard progressive linkage?
I have no idea... What's slip links?

What should I gain with unsing the 1:1 instead of progressive?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link between the primary and secondary side of the carburetors. Carburetors on top of a Super Charger should use a 1:1 linkage rather than the progressive. This evens out the air (and fuel) going through the carburetors which allows the engine to run more even from side to side.

Are you checking your A/F on both sides of the engine or just one?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

The link between the primary and secondary side of the carburetors. Carburetors on top of a Super Charger should use a 1:1 linkage rather than the progressive. This evens out the air (and fuel) going through the carburetors which allows the engine to run more even from side to side.

Are you checking your A/F on both sides of the engine or just one?
Ah ok.

I'm checking the AFR on the even side.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin
Ah ok.

I'm checking the AFR on the even side.

Wich can be different from side to side if you're using progressive linkage.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered

Wich can be different from side to side if you're using progressive linkage.
Yes I can see that. I assume the 1:1 linkage makes the prim and sec open simultanesly instead of the prim open first and then the sec?!

How do you jet the carbs with 1:1 then?

Is there such a big difference between 1:1 and prog when you have the blower underneath? Should the air and fuel mix pretty well in the blower? I can see that it will be a big difference on a blow through motor though.

Last edited by tomas_wallin; 10-27-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Yes I can see that. I assume the 1:1 linkage makes the prim and sec open simultanesly instead of the prim open first and then the sec?!

How do you jet the carbs with 1:1 then?

Is there such a big difference between 1:1 and prog when you have the blower underneath? Should the air and fuel mix pretty well in the blower? I can see that it will be a big difference on a blow through motor though.

Yes there is still a big difference since the SuperCharger moves the air and fuel around the rotors. If you were to look at the O2 per cylinder or cylinder pressure you will see there is a big difference.

If you're running 1:1 linkage you can then boost reference both power valves and run them in both sides and start off with the same jetting in both sides.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered

Yes there is still a big difference since the SuperCharger moves the air and fuel around the rotors. If you were to look at the O2 per cylinder or cylinder pressure you will see there is a big difference.

If you're running 1:1 linkage you can then boost reference both power valves and run them in both sides and start off with the same jetting in both sides.
Ok, I see your point!

The sec powervalves are plugged, or not even drilled.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered

I would still run 1:1 linkage and set the carburetor up so that the primary jetting + the PVCR = the same area as the secondary jetting.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why people run boost referenced power valves on all these applications. I would map your manifold vacuum and vacuum under the carb, A/F ratio and exhaust temps at progressively increasing RPM's. Then compare the data to see when the power valves are actually open! They are probably open from 2000 on up, and this is not necessary. Try to have them open at around 4000 rpm or just above you high cruise rpm. Then redue the mapping exercise, to make sure your not too lean.

Sterling and many others, run the power valves from above the blower (standard location). I have run several twin engine blown boats, without boost referencing, with power valves in the 2.5 to 5.5 range with clean transoms and clean oil without problems. The exhaust temps progressively rise with RPM. 4000 rpm is about 1300 degrees.

If you do dyno at cruise range, you will end up mounting the carbs sideways, which you are doing, and that is good for mid range fuel distribution.
Good Luck, John B

Last edited by John B; 10-27-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 917 Posts

I have just about zero vac/boost at 4000rpms. At 3000 I have 10.6-11:1 and a couple mmHg vacuum.

I have a wicked slip with this labbed 31 bravo, that's why the boost is so late. 30%@4000 and 20%@5100... It looks like it should be pretty good for wot though with the falling slip numbers. I will make a few wot test before I put it away for the winter. So I know wot rpms, speed, AFR etc etc.
Your boost will pressures will definately go up when the prop hooks up more. Mine went up almost 2# from 6# to almost 8# when I added another inch of drive spacer to lower the propslip. Your AF ratio's and EGT's might change also since there will be more load on the engine. I would take that into consideration before making a lot of changes. Its plenty safe now as long as you're not washing the cylinders with fuel and dilluting the oil too much. You may want to try and get a prop that hooks up better before you do any major adjustments.

Quick Reply: I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.