Lifter Valley Screen Kits??

Notices

Lifter Valley Screen Kits??

Old 10-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
That has to be a hell of a squeeze when the roller goes over the nose of a solid cam with 600-700 lbs on it, not to mention some 6000 times a minute.
You spin your motor to 12000rpm?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking roller cams here, solid and hydraulic. Where does the cam lobe get it's lubrication from anyway?

Haxby.. we all spin our motors to 12krpm..
Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I also heard of the return restriction. In fact, someone told me a story of them having one motor with screens and another without and they started loosing lifters in the one with screens. Lube I believe comes from upper end oil, through the drainbacks, from the crank once you have the rpm going (then again we try to scrape the crank and remove that don't we), and lastly from what ever the lifter can pass through the body to the side and bearing axle if you have the option. Problem with solid roller I have heard is failure is mcaused somewhat from prolonged idle periods and obviously spring pressures. At idle I guess the amount of oil going to the cam through the drain backs is not sufficient? I went to KE's spray bars and they seemed to have helped dramatically.??
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

bob,
are your spray bars in the lifter valley?
I was told that most times the bearings in the wheels go bad from prolonged idling. But in my case the face of the wheel was torn up. Looked like you ran it down a cement driveway. The bearings were in good condition.
I know Comp sells a tool to scratch a line in the lifter bore to aid oiling to the cam. Maybe that would be a good thing in this situation..

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming!
Dick
Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
You spin your motor to 12000rpm?

Yeah, you got me there. 6000 @ the crank is 3000 @ the cam.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick,
Was it just 1 lifter wheel with an issue? Did the cam lobe also get beat up? Any spring pressure issues? If only one lifter is damaged and the spring pressure is good, just a defective lifter wheel? If multiple lifter wheels have damage, both intake and exhaust lifter wheel damage? Also, what push rods are you using?
Just thinking...
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I always use screens,be careful not to clog the screen up with epoxy when installing them,I use a better epoxy then the crap that comes with the kits then poke each hole in screen with something to ensure they don't get clogged up,Smitty
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Dick, here is a pic of the spray bar.
Attached Thumbnails Lifter Valley Screen Kits??-spray-bar-2.jpg  
Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

bob,
NOW I like that idea! How much room is between the bar and the block.. I assume the oil drain back is not hindered!!

Ben,
I had 5 lifters in different states of destruction. The cam lobes were also in bad shape, and different states of destruction. I was not given a specific reason. I am running high spring pressures 280/690. My motor is a Merlin Super Tall deck with 11" push rods that are 7/16" single taper, .165" wall. Friend of mine is running the same springs in his motor for years and gets 250hrs out of his lifters. Same brand as mine, but a different model. When he talked to the manufacture, they told him we had the same wheels on the lifters. Only difference being the bearing inside the wheel was different. I have some people tell me too much spring psi and some tell me not enough. Hence the question as to how does the cam lobes and wheels get oil on them.
I like that idea that bob shows.. acts like a screen to a point and adds oil to a problem area.
bob, do you have the part number for that unit? I am looking on KE's site and can not find it.. Thanks
Dick
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
bob,
NOW I like that idea! How much room is between the bar and the block.. I assume the oil drain back is not hindered!!

Ben,
I had 5 lifters in different states of destruction. The cam lobes were also in bad shape, and different states of destruction. I was not given a specific reason. I am running high spring pressures 280/690. My motor is a Merlin Super Tall deck with 11" push rods that are 7/16" single taper, .165" wall. Friend of mine is running the same springs in his motor for years and gets 250hrs out of his lifters. Same brand as mine, but a different model. When he talked to the manufacture, they told him we had the same wheels on the lifters. Only difference being the bearing inside the wheel was different. I have some people tell me too much spring psi and some tell me not enough. Hence the question as to how does the cam lobes and wheels get oil on them.
I like that idea that bob shows.. acts like a screen to a point and adds oil to a problem area.
bob, do you have the part number for that unit? I am looking on KE's site and can not find it.. Thanks
Dick
I am running crane pro roller lifters they have a oil hole for the bearings force feed. I have three years on lifters With .750 lift cam 210 on the seat think 565 open.

Quick Reply: Lifter Valley Screen Kits??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.