Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trailer bunk question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/19752-trailer-bunk-question.html)

Chart 03-11-2002 01:29 PM

Padraig: Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is worth a try before redoing all the bunks with teflon stips.

Same questions for you: How far do you trailer, what kind of roads, does the boat shift on the trailer, how do you have to strap it down with the slick bunks, ect.

thanks

Cord 03-11-2002 02:05 PM

Last year I applied this coating to the bottom of the hull that was said to increase the speed. Well that stuff works very well when it comes time to land the boat. I got the boat lined up and nestled in the bunks. Then I applied a healthy amount of throttle. The boat took off and it felt like I had slid right over the bow block! I swore that I was going to put it through the back window of the truck! Too say the least, the second try was sucessful with a more deft touch to the throttle.

Intolerant1 03-11-2002 02:28 PM

I was just looking in the Boat US cataloge and they have 10" long teflon/plastic strips you put on your bunks. My concern is that it does not cover the entire bunk so the hull will be placing it weight on these strips. Do they make a longer peice that can cover a 15' bunk completely?

Padraig 03-11-2002 02:31 PM

Chart, I tow a 280 Velocity anywhere from 10 miles to 350 miles. No problem. No problems with it moving but on a steep ramp it will slide off the bunks so do not unhook the winch strap until you are in the water!

I use two transom tie downs and two tie downs at the bow, one angled forward and one back. Roads run from good paved to poor, no problems.

Its a good product, try it before you spend money and labor on the teflon strips.

Chart 03-11-2002 03:32 PM

Padraig: Thank you for your information. I think I'll follow your suggestion. I pull a 30' Formula without transom straps. (No good path for the strap from the eyes to the trailer) But use two straps on the bow, like you. Have never had a problem with shifting on carpet, but can be a bear loading the boat on some ramps. (Especially the time we had to load it dead due to an electrial failure:mad: )

Intolerant1: My woodworking catalogs offer these stips in 3-4' lengths a few inches wide. Also hear that plastic dealers might have them in other sizes.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...DID=6&sku=1580

why wait 03-11-2002 06:26 PM

call a plastic fab. dealer, they have the stuff in 4x8 sheets. i measured my bunks, then called them they cut it for me. tell what you are using it for they will set you up. gary

Jayl13 03-12-2002 07:57 AM

Im going to replace my bunks this weekend and wanted to know what type of carpet to get???
I have seen astro turf used but my boat is heavy so not really wanting to go that route
The carpet that is on there though retains so much water it just rots out the wood bunks and now I have one that is cracked
Going to block the boat thursday and do alot of trailer maintenance and upgrades
How bad is it to get this teflon cover stuff?
Where is it located? How much for how much?
A website that we can see what it is and looks like?
Is it plyable wrap type thing or what?
Thanks for the replies
Jason

Sydwayz 03-14-2002 04:30 PM

Jayl13
Go to Home Depot and get their Fish'n'Skl carpet. It works great, lays very well on the bunks, and is as breeze to install with Stainless Steel staples. I covered all my bunks with it in the Charcoal color. Lever the bottom of each bunk uncarpeted for drainage.

jafo 03-14-2002 08:07 PM

I put new bunks on the Formula trailer last year and was thinking about putting the strips on, but was worried about pressure points and boat shift. I thought I'd give the Liquid Rollers a try before buying the Teflon. I was amazed at how well the stuff works- used only half a can last season.
Try this stuff before committing to the plastic- you can add it on later if you don't like it.

Jayl13 04-01-2002 02:00 PM

Does that Fish and Ski carpet come in different colors?
was looking for a purple carpet to do my bunks in and sort of match the pin striping on side of trailer to it?
Any ideas?
Jason