Trailer bunk question >

Trailer bunk question

Notices

Trailer bunk question

Old 03-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer bunk question

Has anyone tried non-carpet matereial on their trailer bunks? How about some of the slick man-made material that woodworkers use to line their fences. I believe it is a teflon material.

Has it hurt your hull?

Is it vastly easier to load?

Does the boat want to slide off like a roller bunk trailer?

How has it lasted?

-- thanx
Old 03-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to change bunks too, sounds interesting.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

I used to work at a dealer part time. Had a boat owner come in that had the plastic cover on his bunks. I don't think it scratched or hurt the hull any until he backed down the ramp with the winch unhooked and the boat slid off and hit the concrete.

Carpet bunks won't do that.

Eric
Old 03-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have the nylon covers on my jet ski trailer and they are VERY slippery. You cannot release the boat until it is ready to go in the water-any slant and it slides right off. It will also shift on the trailer when towing unless tied down really well. We have also been looking into buying those recycled 2X4s since they are all plastic there would be no need to cover them. Also watch the screws that attach the covers-I had one come loose and gouge the gel coat.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I've heard several horrors stories like the ones above. Of course leaving the bow line on would prevent that. The advantage would that moisture wouldn't be held against the hull for long periods. I've seen hulls blister only where they rest on the bunks.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:46 PM
why wait

chart i installed teflon strips on my bunk two years ago, could'nt be happier, yes it's true you do not unhook the boat backin it in, but no scrates or scuffs on hull, fiberglass is harder then the plastic,i got mine at plastics fab. installed my self, boat is a 42' fountain, an myco trailer. gary

Old 03-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

Why Wait:

Do you have trouble with your boat sliding around on the trailer like insptech does with his jet skis?

Do you strap your boat down at the transom in addition to the bow?

How far do you trailer, and how rough are your regular roads?

I trailer across several states, and some of the roads are awful. My boat is a 30' Formula on a Myco trailer.

thanx
Old 03-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Intolerant1

Do the teflon strips or plastic go on top of the carpet or is a complete covering to replace the carpet? My bunks will need attention soon.

Old 03-10-2002, 09:05 PM
why wait

Chart, i don't strap the boat when i stay local about 7 miles to landing. i go to LOTO, then i strap it so it cannot slide forward, thats the problem, siding forward if i have to slam on the breaks.the boat is to heavy to bounce around, even on rough roads. i installed the plastic over the carpit i ordered the plastic 1/2" smaller then the bunks, i think it was 3/8" thick so i counter sunk the stainless screws so not to scratch, i check them every other launch or so, i like it i'm not scuffing the hull from the carpit. i don't have to back the trailer as deep, the boat walks up real nice.

Old 03-11-2002, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I use a product called Liquid Rollers. Just spray on the carpeted bunks, let dry and it lasts for many launches. It does work so do NOT undo the winch line until the stern is in the water. Makes it much easier to retrieve the boat at shallow launch sites I bought mine at Boat US, (1) can lated all season.

Quick Reply: Trailer bunk question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.