msd or crane box ???

Notices

msd or crane box ???

Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default msd or crane box ???

Hello,

I have a thunderbolt four distrubitor in great shape and tried several times to move the rotor 35 degrees several times it comes very close but I'm not sure if its 35 degrees or not. I talked with crane and of course they never heard of any problems . so I was thinking to change to a MSD box or just a msd all in one distrubitor. any suggestions. Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

I would go with the MSD.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will no longer run anything MSD makes if they gave me the crap...MSD(may soon die) their now using junk chinese componants, unless you want/need arev limiter a mallory unilite works great and is much easier to set the advance than the msd...my opinion...just pulled all the msd stuff out of my top sportsman car after 2 failures of the same parts just months apart...pick-up in the dist. Rob
Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider the using a Merc advance box. Maybe the V-6...what are your engine spec's? A lot of times used Merc boxes are available on OSO for a lot less than a new MSD Marine ignition and they are pretty much bullet proof.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crane boxes for almost 2 years with no problems...572 motors
Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Crane
Old 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I will no longer run anything MSD makes if they gave me the crap...MSD(may soon die) their now using junk chinese componants, unless you want/need arev limiter a mallory unilite works great and is much easier to set the advance than the msd...my opinion...just pulled all the msd stuff out of my top sportsman car after 2 failures of the same parts just months apart...pick-up in the dist. Rob
I think "Articfriends" (aka Smitty) could tell you guys a thing or two about MSD's stuff that he had ome disappointing experiences with their stuff right out of the box like 2-3 times in a row!!!

My experience(FYI)---I have run the same Crane Hi-6M ignition boxes and PS92 coils for the last 7-8 years now. My first water test with my boat a water cooling hose came off and began to spray one of my Crane boxes with high pressure water----that same box is in my boat today still doing its job all these years later. I will say that I still have the MSD billet distributors and MSD crank trigger system. The crank trigger system is a very reliable way to go---it eliminates the rusty pick-up in the distributor.

Doesn't DUI make a nice, self contained distributor?---I don't think it has a multiple spark though.

Last edited by KAAMA; 10-23-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto on the Crane stuff!!

Just why are giving up on your hole task?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

the msd stuff is garbage.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Default same thing?

I just received my hi6-m after waiting 6 months (ny area)
I took the rotor to my machine shop 3 days and $65 later I installed it it the boat an now it pings pretty bad ran fine all summer. Yes we timed it.(snap-on timing light an a Mechanic with 30 years in the trade) tried different curves went thru the check list. faQ's (I'm also using the merc hall effect distributor for the same reason)
My machine shop would like to talk to crane about the 35 degree rotor phase (is thinking maybe design change have been made with no updates to the paper work?
Is this the same problem for you

Quick Reply: msd or crane box ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.