XR / Imco vert shaft nut came loose >

XR / Imco vert shaft nut came loose

Notices

XR / Imco vert shaft nut came loose

Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

The HP is over 14, probably 95% of my driving is cruising 45 mph, towing skiers and tubing. I ran the first 2 seasons trouble free 3rd season broke the Teague vert shaft, since then I haven't made it a season. Shortest time on gears was 4 hours. A couple of times per season I run it up into the 130s, I take it easy until I go to Alum, or one of the other local shootouts. Even at the shootout I only make a couple of passes. I know I'm over powering the drive, I really don't expect the gears to live, I'm hoping the XPower Drive hits the market soon, and it's as good as they say.

Last edited by GPM; 10-26-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

As vinny said, the way the drive was assembled is probably the most important aspect of the drive. More important than how you drive it. If the backlash is not correct on the gears, they will not live.Period. The same holds true for the bearing preload. If the rolling torque is not right, the bearings will start to go and take out the gears.
With the power you have, if you drive it like an animal it won't live. It doesn't sound like you do. But if it's not put together right, it won't live no matter how you drive it.
Eddie
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy that did your drive put trim tabs on a v bottom I had a few years back and put them on backwards. Also did other things wrong with the install.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by dmann
The guy that did your drive put trim tabs on a v bottom I had a few years back and put them on backwards. Also did other things wrong with the install.
Nice to see he's consistant.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Vert shaft nut should not come loose on it's own without the vert shaft itself being broken or damaged in some way. You need to find a new drive guy,Smitty
Is this the same guy who built you a drive you couldn't turn over by hand a few years ago that had to go back?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 PM
GPM
Registered

I haven't been able to find anyone in western Pa. that's how I ended up in Ohio, obviously I made the wrong choice. There is no damage to the vert shaft, no sign of loctite, he didn't even bend the lock tab on the retainer. It's a pain in the butt shipping this stuff around the country, sure wish one of you guys would just move closer. This whole thing makes me wonder how many sets of gears were wasted due to poor workmanship.
Attached Thumbnails XR / Imco vert shaft nut came loose-100_0826.jpg  

Last edited by GPM; 10-27-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Next time try this guy.

http://www.simmonsmarine.com/index.htm
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had one imco do it looked like blue,also one bravo shop one,both of these were in the 90's

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary,
You are correct there is no loctite on that shaft! Give me a call if you decide to, when you are ready.. Thanks!
Dick
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

If my choices were to ship the drive and get it repaired/rebuilt propery and actually have it last more than 4 hours or have my local guy, who I know sucks, screw it up again, I would ship it. There are some real reputable drive guys right here on OSO that are capable. Dick, myself, Smitty, just to name a few.

Quick Reply: XR / Imco vert shaft nut came loose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.