XR Lower Gear Question?????????

Notices

XR Lower Gear Question?????????

Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bmergner
the upper shaft would be the one sticking out of the lower gear case. pointing up, going into the drive. i spun the shaft that connects the lower to the upper. spun that 10 times by hand, and the prop shaft spun 8 times.
It's a 1.5 lower then.

How big of a boat is it ?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

31 footer, 6000lb's
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

That's a lot of boat for 1 engine.

Where does the boat manufacturer prop that boat
for a 525EFI ?

That's a comparable powerplant to yours, but makes it's
power at a lower RPM. ( 5450 max)

In that size of boat, I wouldn't be suprised if
a 24" pitch prop was the correct prop.

The V-10 needs to rev a little higher to make
the power it does, so it might need a little less pitch
to accomplish the same thing that a 525EFI is doing
at a lower RPM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Registered

Challenger is closed..... i knew that before buying the boat. i need to poke around some, it just does not make sense but i guess that performance boating...

thanks for all help JaayTeee........
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

also, 24 pitch is the smallest Bravo 4 they offer. i would almost have to go to a 3 blade prop....
Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bmergner,
go back to basics. Is the motor sound? Do a compression check. See if the motor is hitting on all cylinders. If you are making good power, then chase the drive issue. If Teague says the motor should run hard to 5800, then maybe something else is a miss? I would try a three blade and see if it will let the motor spin. If it doesnt, then something is wrong with your power, not the drive ratio or prop choice. If a 3 blade, say a 23" Mirage makes it sing, then have a good prop shop, pull some pitch out of the 4 blade.
But I would qualify the motor first. That is the first thing I do when things slow down and it doesnt add up to the way it should seem to be. Good luck with it.. and keep us posted.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Registered

the power seems GREAT... gets going with a breeze. friend of mine has a 25 outlaw with 496. he drove my boat and said the V10 felt much better all over the place, the mid range is the best part. also, it seems like i have about 1/4 throttle left after running it hard. once you run it wide open, gets to 64 GPS i can start to pull the throttle back about 1/4 of the way and it still holds the 5100-5200 RPM?????????????????????? it does not feel like a power issue. even down on bottom end it blows the prop out. it's kinda wierd i guess. i also got it ready for winter, i pulled all the plugs and they looked GREAT, no signs of any issue's.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You sure your not hitting a rev limiter? I was at one time and couldnt tell it till I guy listened to my go by and said my ignition was breaking up. With the wind noise in my ear at WOT, I couldnt hear it.
If you have a digital tach it will tell you if you are hitting a rev limit. It will bounce all over, vary 100-200 rpms. Not hitting it, it will vary maybe 20-30rpms. Rev Limit may have been set too low from the factory, or the wrong module?? But all looks good from what you say. Just wont wind up. I would still try a compression and leakdown, if that shows good, then maybe the rev limit is off?? Well u have all winter to think about it..
Hope this helps..
Dick
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

thanks everyone, i do have some work to do.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some 22 pitch Bravo 4 blades on Ebay right now. Not sure if Merc. still makes 22 pitch Bravos but they used to. 6000 lbs. and 31 ft. is a lot of boat to push with 550 hp. Propped right you may get close to 70 mph. That's really not bad.

Quick Reply: XR Lower Gear Question?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.