info on aftermarket FI for 7.4L 330hp

Notices

info on aftermarket FI for 7.4L 330hp

Old 10-30-2008, 12:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default info on aftermarket FI for 7.4L 330hp

looking to install a aftermarket fuel injection sys. on a 1995 7.4L merc, any pro's and con's between the edelbrock sys. MPFI or the holley MPFI or the TBI. not looking so much for performance increase, but better fuel management, boat gets used 3500ft up to 8500ft. any good recomendations.
larry
Old 10-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a holley MPI marine kit. The programing must be done on the fly. Plan on spending many hours to dial in perfectly. I have had mine for 5 years. Aftermarket exhaust works better for the O2 sensor. I have the EMI exhaust with the sensor in the riser. My boat likes to run a little richer that the closed loop will allow so I use the sensor only for programing.
Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast system is great. There are a number of people on this board can help you with the programing. As stated before, it takes time to get programing correct. The fast system has where you can run a log. Then after doing such you can go and make changes to your progam. Then dump it in the ecu. Once I got it close I would just go and run a 15 minute log and ran the boat about everywhere on RPM scale. Then when got back home would go thru the log and tweek progam, then would upload to the ecm. I now have a module that can record a log when I want to. If the motor starts acting up or if I go and do a wot run I start the log. I can then go back and view what engine was doing.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry,
I have used the Cutler system and now Megasquirt. The Cutler is self tuning, but there are some tricks. I was able to make it function on much more power than it was suppose to. It was stated in the day, that the Cutler liked the smaller engines, like yours. I have 3 ECUs and a manifold and fuel rails and a bunch of stuff, if you are interested. I could almost put together a system for you, with spare ECUs. I am using one as a back up for my megasquirt, but have never needed to use it.
The megasquirt is for people that want to learn all about EFI. You can assemble your own, or have one built, then you add a wiring harness and hardware and you tune it with simple software. Go to http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html and you can get more info. It has a lot of the features that the expensive one's have and more. The expensive systems have some features that are not yet available from Megasquirt, it is an evolving system. So if your are up for a learning curve, give it a peek. I ran it two seasons and once I got a handle on it.. I love it. Will be using it on my next motor with boost.
If I can be of any help, feel free to pm me with questions.

Dick
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

thanks for the info guy's, this sys. is going on a customers boat and I what simple, if there is such a thing. it's a older gentelmen that owns the boat and is not mechanically inclined at all, all we are looling to achive is optimal mixture at different altitudes. holley no longer makes the mpi sys. but has a tbi sys. that is marine aproved for 2500,00 the automotive version is 1000,00 less. lot of money for potting the ecu, is the cuttler sys. marine aproved?, the boat is a 27 carver with a B2 drive, I'm changeng the drive to a 3 to help with the performace side of it, that should make a big differnece for him on that boat.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fi

I have a stock 7.4L MP Fuel Injection Setup with manifold injectors computer and wiring harness that will prob just bolt on. Fuel Pump is also included. I can sell it for less than the systems you are talking about. Give me a call ..

Chris 727-599-1941

Last edited by Blueabyss; 11-02-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

is the merc sys. as good on fuel as the aftermarkets, is there an o2 sensor on the merc sys.? thats what this customer is after.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Its perfect for that motor.. I dont recall there being an O2ensor on it but I might be wrong. Its a stock Merc Unit 1998 7.4 mpi.. Your customer will not see much performance gain at sea level but will handle the altitude changes better than the carb. Plus much better fuel economy at cruise speed. I also have a complete Gen VI 7.4 long block if anyone is interested. I had the 7.4 mpi rebuilt but never put the FI back on it as I bought a 496 instead. I am parting out the whole thing. Very good price.. Call for more info 727-599-1941

Chris

Last edited by Blueabyss; 11-02-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry,
The Cutler system was sold many for boats back in the day. I dont know if it was USCG approved. It would be a pain for someone without patients.. Your best bet would be the Merc setup that Chris is talking about.. Should be able to bolt it on and for get it.. If he as any problems, a local Merc dealer can work on it.. I think that is the best route to take, for you and the customer.
Hope this helps.
Dick
Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoozeyurdaddy
looking to install a aftermarket fuel injection sys. on a 1995 7.4L merc, any pro's and con's between the edelbrock sys. MPFI or the holley MPFI or the TBI. not looking so much for performance increase, but better fuel management, boat gets used 3500ft up to 8500ft. any good recomendations.
larry

find a RAM JET system by GM Utilizing the MEFI 4B ECU. It will increase performance while delivering an excellent GHP burn accross the board. Very simple to make USCG approved. The older Mercruiser MEFI1 systems are hardware install intensive especially if it was the early generation utilizing VST. If you require O2 capacity MEFI 4 can be setup to accept narrow band sensing however, it requires an external driver. If tuned properly you most likely will not require O2's.

www.mefituning.com

Last edited by tunertech; 11-03-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: info on aftermarket FI for 7.4L 330hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.