stripping  manifolds >

stripping manifolds

Notices

stripping manifolds

Old 03-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stripping manifolds

I'm trying to strip the powder coating off of two sets of HP500 manifolds. What a job this is!! I'm using paint stripper than glass beading. Does any body know of an easier way? I'm also thinking about finishing them in imron or deltron. Any thoughts or suggestions on this appreciated.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the powder coaters sandblast it or burn it off.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know powder coating is very hard to remove, I would think bead blasting would be the way to do it. As far as painting, Imron would be my choice. It is very durable. My 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Keith!

You might want to take them to a local powder coating company and have them re-coat them. As a part of the process they will chemically and/or mechanically strip the old coating. They will come out looking like new and be as durable as well. Plus you can do them any color you want.

Cost to powder coat may not that bad when you consider your time. It's probably at least worth getting an estimate.

Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for input guys. Hi jeff. I was thinking about repowder coating and there is a very good place close by me who does excellent work at a good price. these manifolds aren't that old and when I chiped away a bubble about the size of a dime it ended up being the size of a dollar bill all salt underneath. Seems to be a common thing with powder coat.So I figured I would give imron a try just to see how it holds up. Jeff thanks for email on sea strainers, I'm going to give them a call. I have to get off this winter couch and put my ass in gear to finish this boat if I want to enjoy the summer! Thanks again for info