advice for best solid roller cam 609 >

advice for best solid roller cam 609

Notices

advice for best solid roller cam 609

Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice for best solid roller cam 609

I am finishing gathering parts for a new motor and am very grateful for advice from some experts out there that have done a similar package before and what worked best.

It is a 609 ci world products block, brodix 3xcnc heads, billet rods, coated J&E pistons approx 9.3:1 compression.

It is in a single engine 27' formula and I want to spin around 6,000rpm wot.

I want to make 800hp or possibly a little more. From what I have heard, this is only going to be possible with a solid roller.

another question relating to the cam, has anybody had good results using the standard stud mount roller rockers or is a jesel shaft style mandatory. (it would be nice to use rockers and k/e 2pc valve covers that i already have)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam
Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Formulaok,

The combination you are proposing is capable of making 800+ reliable, legitimate HP with either a HR or SR cam, given the HR lifter technology available. Either way it is imperative the collateral system components are correct for the application.

The stud mount will work, however the shaft mount will go a long way toward minimizing deflection and insuring valvetrain stability. The cost difference is not insignificant, however saving money in the valvetrain often proves to be false economy.

Bob
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Registered

I appreciate your advice. Reliability is an utmost concern, as it is going in a single engine boat, so assuming I do have the jesel rocker system, how much HP do you think I'll leave on the table by going HR vs SR? I don't want to have to adjust the valvetrain more than once every 20 hrs or so.

By the way I forgot to list that this is a dart single dominator and my exhaust is cmi full jacketed tailpipes(water isn't dumped into exhaust until the end of tailpipe outside the transom)

Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, and experience, Bob (aka RMBuilder) is the absolute guru when it comes to cams and valvetrains for marine applications. I would follow his advice.

Chris
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Formulaok,
Agreed, Bob is the guy for your cam needs. He's working on a pair for me as we speak

Are your CMIs of the big tube variety?
I'm currently building 588s with Sport Tubes and this is effecting my exhasut port configuration that is being worked by Jim Valako. The Sport Tubes as well as the standard E-Tops only have an ID of 1.875 (actually more like 1.800. I certainly see this as a choke point for big natural cubes with great flowing large (2.000) exhaust ports and probably would effect the cam selection as well.
I'm sure Bob can shed some light here
If you have big tubes then it's probably a moot point.

I'm going with RM_Builder spec'd cams and heavy duty Morel hydraulics but then I'm only looking for 700-725hp with my Sport Tubes

Dave
Old 12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

I had the very same engine a while back, made a ton of power. We could not keep a drive togeather long enough to run the boat. The cam was a SR, .738 I lift, and .710 E. Duration at .20 was 310. Pulled HARD to 6500 rpm. I have more cam info if you need it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Formulaok,

The combination you are proposing is capable of making 800+ reliable, legitimate HP with either a HR or SR cam, given the HR lifter technology available. Either way it is imperative the collateral system components are correct for the application.

The stud mount will work, however the shaft mount will go a long way toward minimizing deflection and insuring valvetrain stability. The cost difference is not insignificant, however saving money in the valvetrain often proves to be false economy.

Bob

Thi is the guy to listen to right here.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

As far a rockers go. Since you are going to pull it so high up, I would go with the shaft mount rockers. If you do go with a SR, then they will definately cut down on your maintenance time. They will pick up some power also no matter which cam you pick.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T&D Shaft Rockers to much invested to cheap out now.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Registered

Yea i am definitely going with the t & d rockers now. My headers are the big tube ones. Warren, I am interested in any info on that cam you were speaking of.

Bob,

Please advise of what you would do.

Sam

405-850-0515

Quick Reply: advice for best solid roller cam 609

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.