Notices

What Exhaust Seat Material?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WAGS382
Bill
Thanks for the advise.
I agree with you that I need to find the problem. I think it is a mild case of water reversion. If I pull the O2 plug when idleing I get water vapor. The back cylinders (7and 8) were not affected, the others have a straighter shot at the exhaust valves.

Kamma
I was told not to use the copper berillium seats because they are too soft and won't transfer heat properly.
I was also told not to use the propane seats because they are too hard. I am not sure who to believe.
I was told not to use the copper berillium seats because they are too soft and won't transfer heat properly??????????
Learn sumtin new every day
Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
I was told not to use the copper berillium seats because they are too soft and won't transfer heat properly??????????
I didn't say that I agree with them.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Yes, I have AFR heads w/230hrs or so, but I am not currently experiencing any seat problems---at least none that I know of at this point. I run Stellings full length tubular dry headers. The cams I am running (hyd roller) are easy on the valve train and have very little overlap....so, pretty slim chance of any reversion. The cams came from RMBuilder.

A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding "Copper Beryllium" seats and it sounded like they are supposed be the chit as far as durability (rust), valve bounce dampening effect, but I truely do not know either. I think I may have asked my engine builder at one time a few years back and I forgot what he said. I wouldn't mind using copper beryllium seats the next time I rebuild.

Laz, what is your take on copper beryllium seats in either a steel or aluminum head?
I use the seats for each application if your're running an extreme rpm motor with ty valves I use copper bronze I've stayed away from the Beryllium because I've found it to not hold up as good and for stainless valves for any use other then extanded high rpm I've always used hardened seats from either of the manufactureres I mentioned. These seats are very corrosion resistant in everything from marine in the salt water environment to all out racing engines on no2 and methonol which are extremely corrosive there are other companies mentioned in the thread but these are the ones I can recomend because I use them and its worked for me . Good luck guys Laz
www.mesaracingengines.com
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Laz
Thanks for your advice.
Jeff
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Totally FALSE.