Towing questions /frustrations >

Towing questions /frustrations

Notices

Towing questions /frustrations

Old 03-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing questions /frustrations

This is the first year that I will be towing on a regular basis,up until now I had my boat rack stored.
I bought a '01 Dodge 2500/Cummins which is rated to 9600 lbs with the gear ratio that I have.
The boat/trailer combo will probably weigh no more than 7000lbs.
I have read that if you are towing and you get into an accident and if they find you are over your limit the insurance company can deny any claims. Well now I'm all freaked out about that , normally I would tow it and not think twice about it.
Well the hitch that came with the truck (which has towing package) say's 5000lb limit , 10,000lb with load distributing hitch. Well I don't want to do the load distributing thing ($300-350) so that leaves me with buying a new hitch (more money !).
What do you guys do ? Am I really over the limit or just don't understand? Do I really have to dish out MORE money ?

Another thing, I was talking to someone on this board about converting surge brakes to electrically actuated brakes, I forgot who it was though.
Well anyways I talked to my local trailer store and they really didn't know too much about it,so if anyone has any info please let me know. I plan on doing this.

Chuck
Old 03-13-2002, 07:36 PM
FWK

You will have no problem pulling your boat I would make sure you have a solid insert for your hitch. Check your tongue weight. I doubt it is more than the rating of your hitch.How does MI plate the trucks weight wise are there diferrences. In MO we have 6k,12k, 18k, 24k, 26k and 30k and up requires a CDL.
Forrest

Old 03-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Registered

I towed a 27' Fountain with a Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8. The trailer mfgr. (Vanguard) made a mistake and put the wrong bunks on the trailer. As a result, I had 1100 # tongue weight. I towed this way for over 1 year until I convinced Vanguard there was a problem. What was your question?
Old 03-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Registered

Breathe later ,
the question is more of a legality question, if the hitch says 5000/10000 w/load bearing and I'm towing 7000 without a load bearing hitch , am I legal or not.
Insurance companies pay attention to that stuff if there is a claim hanging in the balance.
I'm not worried about the truck handling it.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For peace of mind I would replace the hitch, both Reese and Drawtite offer hitchs that will handle at least 10,000 lbs with out a weight distributing system, I bought Drawtite but if I ever wear out my truck I will get the Reese hitch, it has a larger reciever socket and just looks tougher. You are correct, the hitch you have is to small without a weight distributing system and could get you a ticket also.
Caleb
Old 03-14-2002, 09:13 AM
MikeStar

26scarab,

You might want to check MI laws on trailers. I had a trailer built for my old Powerquest last year, and there was some regulation about brakes on both axles, or you had to have surge vs electric - I honestly don't remember.

You might try the Michigan Secretary of State website to see what they say about it...

Old 03-14-2002, 11:00 AM
FWK

I agree with Time warp I would upgrade hitches also it is a minimal cost for the peice of mind you will have. Forrest

Old 03-14-2002, 11:25 AM
WES311SR1

hitches are test to three times there rating, so there's a big dummy factor . go with the soild recev. and high wt. ball.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Registered

You might want to check if the reciever mounted to the truck is rated for 10,000lbs and only the hitch and/or ball is rated for 5000.
Gary
Old 03-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Registered

Default Dodge receivers

I've got an 01 Dodge TDI 2500 too- the factory receiver hitch is indeed 5k weight carrying, on top of that there was a recall on some of the dodges on the hitches for cracking. Buy the bigger 10 K hich just for piece of mind and litigation concerns.

I do tow 6k with mine and don't worry about it, but I know my tongue weight is on the light side. Too much tongue weight is the factor here. A long time ago I towed with a 3/4 ton suburban, had too much TW using the eyebal method (Stout rear leafs) and I actually heard a pop going over a big dip into a driveway- I found the back two (of six) retention bolts had broke in tension- they were lying there in the road with the nuts still on them.

Another note- the new Chevy HD's are coming with the higher rated receivers form the factory. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Towing questions /frustrations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.