Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
standard crane or summitt roller rocker??? >

standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Notices

standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
Lots of places to cut corners on a boat and save money but in the engine is not one of them!!!!!! Let us know how much you saved after you break one and have to do the motor over again .
Will do.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on the face of the earth who has used these parts.

And, tell me again, where is anyone able to SAVE money working on a boat? Things are a friggin PIT.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
Not everyone on this board has money coming out their ears.
And I for one am not one of them If I had money coming out of my ears I would not have a 96 boat. I just know what cost me twice and trying to help others not make some of the same mistakes that myself and others have made. Going cheep in a motor WILL cost you in the long run.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered

I put Scorpions in my 490. 1.7 and 1.8 ratios. I got them from Clay Smith Cams and if I remember right, I paid less than $300.00 for them. Holding up just fine and they're made in the USA. Pt# for the set is SCP1040.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
And I for one am not one of them If I had money coming out of my ears I would not have a 96 boat. I just know what cost me twice and trying to help others not make some of the same mistakes that myself and others have made. Going cheep in a motor WILL cost you in the long run.
And I do appreciate the advice, didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't.

"cheap" is a relative term, there are no "corners cut" in my build, but I did NOT get the best of everything either.

Did you have summit rockers fail on you?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rednourdj
I put Scorpions in my 490. 1.7 and 1.8 ratios. I got them from Clay Smith Cams and if I remember right, I paid less than $300.00 for them. Holding up just fine and they're made in the USA. Pt# for the set is SCP1040.
These are the EXACT same as the Summit house brand. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

http://www.mountainperformanceonline..._p/scp1014.htm

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...B&autoview=sku

(just saying)

Last edited by PJDiesel; 01-08-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

And I do appreciate the advice, didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't.

"cheap" is a relative term, there are no "corners cut" in my build, but I did NOT get the best of everything either.

Did you have summit rockers fail on you?
No I used Proform but they look just like the ones Summit sales , and yes they did fail 15miles from the dock .
Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure, I agree. Problem is, building a motor is one of the most NICKLE and DIME projects I have ever seen.

It's $200.00 for oil and filters, not to mention several $2,000 dollar parts orders, $1,500 in machine and head work, etc., etc.

Tried to save some coin where I could. Not everyone on this board has money coming out their ears.
Maybe you should go remote control!! You asked a question and a 100% of the replys have been dont go summit!! You asked a question a dont like the answers,not to be a smart a** but why ask if you have your mind made up. FYI the bleeding has just started,welcome to the performance boating world.
BOAT = BRING ON A NOTHER THOUSAND.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Registered

Crower or comp cam by far. Whatever you do make sure it's at least a full roller. Full stainless is what I used to run. I never had a problem at all with them. I have had them in a lot of different engines and different types of setups from nitrous to blowers, drag to street cars, etc. I have since switched to Jesel. They are the best, but costly. The sportsman aren't good though so it all or nothing with them. I haven't ever run the cranes, but I got a set with heads I bought. The machine shop told me they aren't good and told me to sell them or throw them away. If I remember it was a problem with the roller and the body.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Registered

PJ,
They be made for summitt but they are different look at the pin that holds the roller in , it has little lines on the end of the shaft the summit brand is completely smooth no groves.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered

I debated this very subject when I was building my 509 last winter. After a lot of research I decided to go with the Summit rockers and have no regrets. They are American Made and have held up well. They are nothing like the Chinese Procomp rockers. Having said that, the Cranes are a proven design if you want to minimize your chances of a failure. However, nothing is guaranteed in a performance environment. I also believe research can only go so far, and after that there's only one way to find out! That's how things become proven.

Quick Reply: standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.