Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   SUPER CHILLER plumbing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/202863-super-chiller-plumbing.html)

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-08-2009 02:52 PM

SUPER CHILLER plumbing

SUPER CHILLER plumbing question ???
Hey guys who's plumbed which way ???
Last year we ran thru the Eickert 2 stage out the bellhousing cooler # 10 thru intercooler out a # 12 to dumps so we had water all the time ...
We are gettin ready to plumb thru dedicated pick up for superchiller #12 hose thru pressure valve,then sea strainer, to intercooler ..this way cooler will have tons of water but only while boat is underway ..
:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

midwest272 02-08-2009 10:22 PM

Been doing some research on this as well. http://teaguecustommarine.com//store...r_plumbing.pdf

Young Performance 02-08-2009 10:29 PM

That is the way I plumb all of them. I never run water through the intercooler at idle, only while the boat is on plane. There is no need to run water through the intercooler if the engine isn't running hard. Force feeding it works great.
Eddie

DMOORE 02-08-2009 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by midwest272 (Post 2795994)
Been doing some research on this as well. http://teaguecustommarine.com//store...r_plumbing.pdf

Mine is plumbed this way, only I have 1 dump, and one pressure relief dump.

Darrell.

tomas_wallin 02-09-2009 05:21 AM

Me too, but with one AN-12 dump and no relief dump.

Perhaps I should think of using dual AN-10's for the dump though...

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-09-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2796002)
That is the way I plumb all of them. I never run water through the intercooler at idle, only while the boat is on plane. There is no need to run water through the intercooler if the engine isn't running hard. Force feeding it works great.
Eddie

Eddie what about the myth that the intercooler is getting warm and starting to make heat at the dock and when you get underway or start to put her on plane the coool water on the hot intercooler causes holes and turns them into lawn sprinklers on the motor ??
We ran before thru the pumps and had water at idle and never had idle problems or pudling but want all the water we can get for motors & headers off the Eickert pumps ..
thnx in advance

DareDevil 02-09-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2796101)
Eddie what about the myth that the intercooler is getting warm and starting to make heat at the dock and when you get underway or start to put her on plane the coool water on the hot intercooler causes holes and turns them into lawn sprinklers on the motor ??
We ran before thru the pumps and had water at idle and never had idle problems or pudling but want all the water we can get for motors & headers off the Eickert pumps ..
thnx in advance

Bill,,,why would they get hot at iddle ????

I thought they only get hot when working hard ?

If not ,coudnt u use an electric pump from the pickup to feed them at the dock and then while on the way the pump gets bypassed and it runs on force ??????

Just an idea.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-09-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2796106)
Bill,,,why would they get hot at iddle ????

I thought they only get hot when working hard ?

If not ,coudnt u use an electric pump from the pickup to feed them at the dock and then while on the way the pump gets bypassed and it runs on force ??????

Just an idea.

Electric pump ??????? RUFF weekend BIG Daddy ???? I could alwayz just buy the 3rd stage and a longer shaft for the Eickert pumps and feed it that way but i want to keep all that water for the motor off the -20s and transom pick ups .... :cool-smiley-027:

DareDevil 02-09-2009 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2796110)
Electric pump ??????? RUFF weekend BIG Daddy ???? I could alwayz just buy the 3rd stage and a longer shaft for the Eickert pumps and feed it that way but i want to keep all that water for the motor off the -20s and transom pick ups .... :cool-smiley-027:

I am sirius,,,if u ad a transom pick up to force feed the cooler , and u set a electr. pump in there where u can switch it on at the dock when iddle ,,,u get water thru the cooler without interfiring the water for the motor and as soon as u on the way the pump gets bypassed and feeds the extra water thru the cooler without losing any for the motor ????

NO ???? ,i think it will work and keeps the baby cool !:eek:

No HP loss on the engine either for the extra pump section.

Young Performance 02-09-2009 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2796101)
thnx in advance

I've never had any troubles with the cold water hitting the hot intercooler. I have only seen my intake air temps get to about 120 deg at idle, which isn't very hot. As soon as you start to get the boat up, it will start shoving water through. I have seen them getting water at 15 mph. It all depends on the depth of the pickup and the height of both the strainer and the intercooler itself.
I'm just like you in that I did not want to rob water from the engine. I run my engines ice cold and want as much water as I can get. Also, like I said before, they just don't need it at idle. With the efi engines, puddling could be a problem. Since I'm using high impedence injectors, I can only get 65lb injectors. I have to run 10 injectors to get enough fuel on the top end. It makes it very touchy to control at idle. I have never run water through the intercooler at idle, but I think it would cause a problem with puddling. I'm sure I could tune it out, but why bother. You may not have that problem with the carbs., but I would still force feed it.
Eddie

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-09-2009 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2796198)
I've never had any troubles with the cold water hitting the hot intercooler. I have only seen my intake air temps get to about 120 deg at idle, which isn't very hot. As soon as you start to get the boat up, it will start shoving water through. I have seen them getting water at 15 mph. It all depends on the depth of the pickup and the height of both the strainer and the intercooler itself.
I'm just like you in that I did not want to rob water from the engine. I run my engines ice cold and want as much water as I can get. Also, like I said before, they just don't need it at idle. With the efi engines, puddling could be a problem. Since I'm using high impedence injectors, I can only get 65lb injectors. I have to run 10 injectors to get enough fuel on the top end. It makes it very touchy to control at idle. I have never run water through the intercooler at idle, but I think it would cause a problem with puddling. I'm sure I could tune it out, but why bother. You may not have that problem with the carbs., but I would still force feed it.
Eddie

Thnx BIG Daddy looks like force feed it is , will check Teagues and see what strainers and 3/4 pressure valves hes got ..1 good thing about running thru the pump is you can always tell if you have water thru the coolers and shes not clogged.
lookin at Teagues plumbing diagram they have 2 dumps, 1 inlet,1 pressure we have 1 in and 1 out and will put the pressure valve on the strainer to help with the spikes
:ernaehrung004:
:ernaehrung004:

jeff1000man 02-09-2009 12:22 PM

Shouldn't you run the water through the intercooler strainer first before the intercooler?

That was the only thing I got confused on, or am I just reading you wrong?

Young Performance 02-09-2009 12:24 PM

Put either your pressure relief or the dump on the side instead of the transom and you may be able to see it to be sure it is flowing water.
Otherwise, you got the plumbing right.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-09-2009 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2796244)
Shouldn't you run the water through the intercooler strainer first before the intercooler?

That was the only thing I got confused on, or am I just reading you wrong?

or am I just reading you wrong?:cool-smiley-027:

strainer , pressure relief valve, cooler :ernaehrung004:

DareDevil 02-09-2009 12:59 PM

Was my idea that stupid ???????:party-smiley-004:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-09-2009 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2796285)
Was my idea that stupid ???????:party-smiley-004:

:eek::ernaehrung004:

HotPursuit 02-09-2009 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2796002)
Eddie

Yup me too!!! Needle d*ck ya wasted 3hrs of my hear and still get the same answer!!! Your cut off..:drink:
Also Mr Running Hot you can run a blower without a intercooler to 6-8 #s of boost just depends on your intake ait temp and EGTS.So idling wont hurt jack,,, Stop typing and get that bad boy running!!! and order some props :D
Wazzz up Calmation bro ya going to miami?? That Skater came out awsome!!!!

DareDevil 02-09-2009 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2796499)
:eek::ernaehrung004:

OK OK :drink: just drink some more on my tab .LOL

$hit i won't make it to the races ,,,need to sell the baby now !!:grinser010:

HotPursuit 02-09-2009 11:16 PM

Also 12 years of force feeding my intercooler with no strainer and no pressure relief.No problems seems to me trash only happens around the dock when your idling so no trash or sand with force feed.Cant hurt to install a strainer and a relief but I always flush mine backwards after I flush the engines..

Young Performance 02-10-2009 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 2796853)

Thanks Keith. Can't make Miami.....too busy. I would love to go but I just can't get away long enough. These engines aren't gonna put themselves together. You going?

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-10-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 2796853)
Yup me too!!! Needle d*ck ya wasted 3hrs of my hear and still get the same answer!!! Your cut off..:drink:
Also Mr Running Hot you can run a blower without a intercooler to 6-8 #s of boost just depends on your intake ait temp and EGTS.So idling wont hurt jack,,, Stop typing and get that bad boy running!!! and order some props :D

Cut off ??? WTF theres alwayz Vicodin & oxycotin :eek:
wasted 3hrs ??? but you miss me BIG Daddy :grinser010:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-10-2009 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 2796856)
Also 12 years of force feeding my intercooler with no strainer and no pressure relief.No problems seems to me trash only happens around the dock when your idling so no trash or sand with force feed.Cant hurt to install a strainer and a relief but I always flush mine backwards after I flush the engines..

Cant hurt to install a strainer and a relief:cool:
Thats what im thinkin Bro :ernaehrung004:

What hose did you use ???? the Blue -12 or braided ?? I'd feel better with some crimp fitting on the pressure side before the pressure valve then just push loks

Pick up the phone ya Pecker Head..............................

HotPursuit 02-10-2009 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2796896)
Thanks Keith. Can't make Miami.....too busy. I would love to go but I just can't get away long enough. These engines aren't gonna put themselves together. You going?

I will be there 11th- 15th was thinking we could slam a few down and bring up some old times!! :D
I hear that money talks and bullsh*t walks,give me a call so I can store your new cell#.

HotPursuit 02-10-2009 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=RunninHotRacing158;2796989]Cant hurt to install a strainer and a relief:cool:
Thats what im thinkin Bro :ernaehrung004:

What hose did you use ???? the Blue -12 or braided ?? I'd feel better with some crimp fitting on the pressure side before the pressure valve then just push loks

Nothing but braided, just replaced some push on test stuff going to my headers>> I have #10 in and out you can only push so many gpms through that super chiller nomatter what size hose you run..

HotPursuit 02-10-2009 08:45 PM

[

Pick up the phone ya Pecker Head..............................[/QUOTE]

You fried my last one!!!:eek: Ill give you a call from Miami ..:ernaehrung004:

Airpacker 02-11-2009 08:16 AM

Just finnished rigging my cooler plumbing. I feed with a #12 from the pick up to the strainer, then 12 to the cooler, 2 #10 dumps for the cooler, one on the transom, one out the side so I can looky for flow. Pressure relief valve is at the front of the cooler opposite the #12 feed. The p r dump is also out the side so I can see if I need to adjust my pick up depth or, I figure, if its always flowing out the dump for the pressure relief and not one of the main dumps, I might have a restriction in the cooler.

I also ran a #4 from the rear corner of the intake manifold to the rear of the cooler, theory being that a very small amount of warm water will trickle backwards thru the core and out the pick up helping to stop fuel puddling at idle as I inject above the blower. The volume being fed to the cooler by the pick up should over ride the #4 feed once the boat starts moving. Won't know if any of it works for a while yet as our lakes are still rather hard and will be for a few months yet.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-11-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 2797810)
Just finnished rigging my cooler plumbing. I feed with a #12 from the pick up to the strainer, then 12 to the cooler, 2 #10 dumps for the cooler, one on the transom, one out the side so I can looky for flow. Pressure relief valve is at the front of the cooler opposite the #12 feed. The p r dump is also out the side so I can see if I need to adjust my pick up depth or, I figure, if its always flowing out the dump for the pressure relief and not one of the main dumps, I might have a restriction in the cooler.

I also ran a #4 from the rear corner of the intake manifold to the rear of the cooler, theory being that a very small amount of warm water will trickle backwards thru the core and out the pick up helping to stop fuel puddling at idle as I inject above the blower. The volume being fed to the cooler by the pick up should over ride the #4 feed once the boat starts moving. Won't know if any of it works for a while yet as our lakes are still rather hard and will be for a few months yet.

Thanks BIG Daddy , L@@ks like our sea strainers will have the provisions for pressure relief valve on them to help with the spikes when were haulin Azz ... I noticed last year over 130 the pressure gauges were spinning round like a clock ...
We were 60 yesterday and 50 today i think spring is around the corner:ernaehrung004:

jeff1000man 02-11-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2797844)
Thanks BIG Daddy , L@@ks like our sea strainers will have the provisions for pressure relief valve on them to help with the spikes when were haulin Azz ... I noticed last year over 130 the pressure gauges were spinning round like a clock ...
We were 60 yesterday and 50 today i think spring is around the corner:ernaehrung004:

We were 80 over the weekend :evilb:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-11-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2797846)
We were 80 over the weekend :evilb:

Keep rubbing it in Bro :cool-smiley-027: Ah no Biggie motors are makin there way back home and sittin in ELPASO we gots some time to get this B!@tch back together ..:ernaehrung004:

LocationDetailsFeb 11, 2009 2:49 AMIn transitEL PASO, TXFeb 9, 2009 10:06 PMLeft FedEx origin facilityTUCSON, AZFeb 9, 2009 5:55 PMPicked upTUCSON, AZ

jeff1000man 02-11-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2797852)
Keep rubbing it in Bro :cool-smiley-027: Ah no Biggie motors are makin there way back home and sittin in ELPASO we gots some time to get this B!@tch back together ..:ernaehrung004:

LocationDetailsFeb 11, 2009 2:49 AMIn transitEL PASO, TXFeb 9, 2009 10:06 PMLeft FedEx origin facilityTUCSON, AZFeb 9, 2009 5:55 PMPicked upTUCSON, AZ

Yeah, They were boosted in transit and are on there way to an undisclosed location in the Houston vicinity, where they are scheduled to be used in an 86 Buick Regal/

Young Performance 02-11-2009 01:22 PM

One thing I forgot to mention, you should have pressure gauges on the intercoolers. I hook them up in the intercooler strainers. I figured the strainers would be the restriction. I have #16 all the way from the pickup, through the strainer and them it splits into (2) #12's into the intercooler. (2) #12's out of the intercooler go into (1) #16 to the transom mounted dump. The strainer has a 3/4" adjustable pressure relief that dumps out the back to. I have it set about 15 psi.
Eddie

Young Performance 02-11-2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 2797566)
I will be there 11th- 15th was thinking we could slam a few down and bring up some old times!! :D
I hear that money talks and bullsh*t walks,give me a call so I can store your new cell#.

I can't find your #
Mine is 504-416-3607
Eddie

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-11-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2797870)
Yeah, They were boosted in transit and are on there way to an undisclosed location in the Houston vicinity, where they are scheduled to be used in an 86 Buick Regal/

Gunna be 1 Bad azz 86 Buick Regal:cool-smiley-027::ernaehrung004:

jeff1000man 02-11-2009 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2798259)
Gunna be 1 Bad azz 86 Buick Regal:cool-smiley-027::ernaehrung004:

You boy in Texoma was looking for you today? :party-smiley-004:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-11-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2798262)
You boy in Texoma was looking for you today? :party-smiley-004:

I'm easy to find BIG Daddy ,and aint gots to hide from no one :eek::ernaehrung004:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-11-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2798059)
One thing I forgot to mention, you should have pressure gauges on the intercoolers. I hook them up in the intercooler strainers. I figured the strainers would be the restriction. I have #16 all the way from the pickup, through the strainer and them it splits into (2) #12's into the intercooler. (2) #12's out of the intercooler go into (1) #16 to the transom mounted dump. The strainer has a 3/4" adjustable pressure relief that dumps out the back to. I have it set about 15 psi.
Eddie

Thnx Eddie but i have a question pressure gauges on the intercoolers?
and how am i gonna see these gauges ??? I have a SKATER Bro in Indy who has pressure gauges on his sea strainers and was reading spikes of 125 lbs ...:ernaehrung004:

jeff1000man 02-11-2009 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2798275)
and how am i gonna see these gauges ??? I have a SKATER Bro in Indy who has pressure gauges on his sea strainers and was reading spikes of 125 lbs ...:ernaehrung004:

Have 2 of those chicks turn around and look under the hood while you are running. Wait a minute. That might cause a different kind of pressure to spike. :evilb:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-11-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2798285)
Have 2 of those chicks turn around and look under the hood while you are running. Wait a minute. That might cause a different kind of pressure to spike. :evilb:

C'mon now Bro there Blondes ,there not along for the technickal stuff ...there will be no turning around and with the right rear seat placement there Bikini tops are GONE at 125:eek::ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

jeff1000man 02-11-2009 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2798300)
C'mon now Bro there Blondes ,there not along for the technickal stuff ...there will be no turning around and with the right rear seat placement there Bikini tops are GONE at 125:eek::ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

Excellent.

Bring them with you when you come to TX> :ernaehrung004::cool:

Young Performance 02-12-2009 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2798275)

Never had spikes in any of them before. Did them in a 36 Nortech running 174 mph with no spikes at all. That is how I do all of the pressure gauges on the intercoolers. Whipple intercoolers don't have a provision anywhere in the intercooler for a gauge hookup, so it has to go in the strainer. I put the pressure gauges for the engines in the block, since there are several places to go, but not on the intercooler.
Eddie