Painted vs. Gel Hull >

Painted vs. Gel Hull

Notices

Painted vs. Gel Hull

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted vs. Gel Hull

What are the pro/cons of gel boats with limited vinyl graphics on the sides and bow like your standard Fountains/Bajas, etc. vs. higher-end boats that have full paint on the bow and sides?

The full paint boats look great but I am concerned that friends and sand and general use would degrade the finish much more quickly. So for someone that goes to a beach and hangs all day and wants to keep a boat 10 years, would a full paint boat take a beating to where it's not practical year after year?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

my boat was painted 3 years ago and looks as good as it did 3 years ago. You have to use a top qaulity paint. Have someone do it that knows what they are doing. Dont really know any adv. or disadv. but with paint you dont get that chalky dull look like you do on gel coat and paint is easy wipe down when you pull the boat out. You would think paint would be better since your hi end boats do it. Maybe someone will chime with more info. Paint is a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salesdeity
What are the pro/cons of gel boats with limited vinyl graphics on the sides and bow like your standard Fountains/Bajas, etc. vs. higher-end boats that have full paint on the bow and sides?

The full paint boats look great but I am concerned that friends and sand and general use would degrade the finish much more quickly. So for someone that goes to a beach and hangs all day and wants to keep a boat 10 years, would a full paint boat take a beating to where it's not practical year after year?

You can do incredibly sophisticated graphics in gelcoat (of course then you cant change the scheme like vinyl.) Gel is applied upside down and backward in the mold, and you can ALMOST anything except lettering. I believe gel is easier to keep bright than paint over time. Boats with colored gels typically have white bottoms so beaching is a non issue, but repair takes real skill.

Paint is typically applied on top of gel then coated with clear sealer. I believe its a bit thinner and overall it is harder to care for.....but its easier to apply and more people can do it and achieve a good result repairs are easier than gel.

Uncle Dave
Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by salesdeity
Fountains use paint for graphics. Baja's graphics were mostly done in the gel and some of the more custom stuff was painted.

Either one, if done right, will be fine.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take the paint any day over gel....some colors hard to keep from fading in gel, paint easier to keep up and repair and to change when you get tired of it...Rob
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion I like gel. I also like a very simple boat (white or a single color) with no graphic scheme so adding graphics later could be done. I also feel a gel boat that spends a lot of time in the water specifically docked wears better over time. I have had both with good success.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My wellcraft is painted in Imron top to bottom, and I would say that after a weekend trip with the group my hull cleans up a lot easier. But my 18 Powerplay is in its original gel, and I just love the luster and shine of it. I like them both.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One positive with gel is, it's thicker. I gives you a bit more material to buff out , if / when, it does get scratched. But it is more difficult to fix. Also less people that know how to fix it. I also believe it wears better overall than paint.

Darrell.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had boats for years (mostly big slow boats) but the problem with Gel is eventually the care to keep it up gets to be too much.
On mY 48 ' Chriscraft I buff every season opener and wax. If I don't wax a sction each week it will start to chalk a bit. And it has never been close to saltwater .

Awlgrip or Imron has a surface strength of tin. It is used on all new Hatteras yachts. I would assume that has someting to do with longevity of the finish.
just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Paint, gel blows, I have a ten year old gas grill that looks better than 95% of gel coated boats. The stuff doesn't hold up.

Quick Reply: Painted vs. Gel Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.