502 mag want to make 500 hp. cam problems >

502 mag want to make 500 hp. cam problems

Notices

502 mag want to make 500 hp. cam problems

Old 02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 mag want to make 500 hp. cam problems

i am an a budget. not rich by any means. last season i had my exhaust blow a hole in it and hydrolocked my rh bank. i removed the engine and also found that i had (count them) 5 flat lobes on my cam. the engine had been lacking in performance throught the year. the engine was a factory 502 mag mercruiser in a baja outlaw 1994. the stamping number on the bellhousing area is 14096859. ok so here we go. i had the block and pistions cleaned up. i put in race bearings and file fit rings. i have a buddy with a hustler slingshot that had his old engines sitting around they had about 60 hours and they are 500efi. he gave me one of the cams. they were factory also. i go to install the cam and my old sprocket dosent match up. i have lunati hydraulic roller retro-fit lifters for this setup also. i call crane and they said that cam goes to a gen 6 block and does not use the same system to control the cam walk. i also have a mercruiser factory 500 hp blue carb i got from ebay. i want the same cam they use in the 500hp. what is it and is it gonna come with lifters. i need hel and im about to my budget on this damn thing. i have all-ready race cut my valves and installed the proper springs to accomidate the hydraulic roller. anyone know anything for me? thanks so much guys. everytime im in a pinch this forum rescues me.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been down this route before its very hard to make 500hp out of a stock 502. You need several parts to make this happen. Before setting your heads up, you need to know what cam your going to run if your have a gen6 you can run a 731 crane cam but you need good lifters. I would give Bob Madera a call he wiil set you on the right track without wasteing money like I have.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

how could i get ahold of him? and i have a gen 5 block. i just want an agressive cam without having reversion. i would like to use a lunati.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

why didn't you just buy his motors complete and use them ?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered

he took them to an engine builder in winsconsin i beleive. the dude didnt call for 6 months. he went back to get his stuff andt take it to weseldyke in michigan and the guy had stolen 1 set of pistons, both cranks, both ecu's, both intakes, and both sets of exhaust. they were completely torn down with nothing marked. i didnt want to start from that. too expensive.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

"RMBuilder"/Bob Madara of Marine Kinetics in N.Y. 585-654-8583
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Registered

Lunati 50270 looks good compares to crane 741 i think.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
he took them to an engine builder in winsconsin i beleive. the dude didnt call for 6 months. he went back to get his stuff andt take it to weseldyke in michigan and the guy had stolen 1 set of pistons, both cranks, both ecu's, both intakes, and both sets of exhaust. they were completely torn down with nothing marked. i didnt want to start from that. too expensive.
Yeah!---sounds all too familiar with these cowboys who call themselves "engine builders"---and there are A LOT of them out there. Wesseldyke gets many out-of-state customers with stories just as you have described.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

wesseldyke built new ones for him. over 700hp on pump gas no blowers. it went 99 on 4th of july. i would love to have him build something for me. but im just a poor diesel tech
Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Fixer,
You can use the GenV roller cam and timing chain set in your block. I cant believe the guys at Crane did not know this All you need to buy is the cam retaining plate and the two screws that hold it in place. Every Big Block I have ever seen has the holes for the plate screws. They were originally used for gear driven marine and HD truck engines. The plate and screws are available from your local Chevy dealer.

I have started using the late model setup on every Big Block roller cam engine I do. It is so much nicer than using a cam button etc.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Quick Reply: 502 mag want to make 500 hp. cam problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.