Need More Speed! (496Ho Content) >

Need More Speed! (496Ho Content)

Notices

Need More Speed! (496Ho Content)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
You should go play around with this site to figure out how much hp you will need to go 55mph.

http://go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm

I entered in your boat weight at 23000 lbs and your top speed of 47 mph to come up with a constant.

I then plugged in 55 mph and solved for horsepower, and it spit out 1169 hp or about 585 hp per side in order to get to 55 mph.

I have found this site, and speed predictor to be very accurate.

Given your horsepower requirements to go 55, Whipple is the natural selection. They make a kit for your motor to take it to aproximately 620 hp per side which would take your top speed to aproximately 57 mph... or about 10 mph more than you are going now.

I have found the whipple kits to be very complete, and Dustin is the man when it comes to re-programming the stock PCM.

I would not hesitate in the slightest in recommending his products.

He is at the Florida boat show right now, but can be reached via phone most any weekday from 10am - 4 pm at 559-442-1261.

I am not associated with Whipple in any way... he is just that good of a guy in my opinion. He has helped me on innumerable occasions, while working on my own projects.

Chris
Hey Chris,
Thanks very much for the site! I will be sure to play around with it. It sounds like Whipple (at least on paper) is a good fit for what we want to do.
Things are a bit crazy my end, so I'll try to call Dustin next week to touch base with him. I sent Whipple and e-mail the other day but never got a response, I forgot about the boat show haha. I feel less ignored now ;-)

Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=daredevil;2799239]
Originally Posted by DeepBlue47
Haha....thanks.

What did you mean with HAHA ????

About the drives or the Condo ?! LOL
Both...lol

I'm pretty sure I'd have to replace the drives because I can't see myself getting out on the water and giving the throttles a little bit of a punch every now and then
Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Registered

Don't be afraid to go the Raylar route either. Ray has got his parts down to a sceince on the 496. The 103 kit costs about $6K and with the exhaust you have already upgraded to it will put you right where you want to be at around 560HP. I am sure he will chime in to give you some more information but he to is probably at the boat show.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue47
Its a Riviera M470 with twin 496 Mag HO's. This past winter I went ahead and put Dana Marine's Thru-hull exhaust on her and figured I would see how the season went. I didnt see any real gains (just great noise!) Thanks for any help guys
What RPM's where you turning at wide open throttle with the STOCK exhaust system?----and then did you see any RPM gains with the addition of new aftermarket Dana exhaust???

How about the midrange?---Did you notice any more "kick" (torque)or speed increase in you midrange crusing speeds?

In either case, I am glad to see that you added/upgraded to a better breathing exhaust system on your engines FIRST! Now, your engines are ready for the internal upgrades and possibly more bolt on upgrades!

Personally, I think I would skip the supercharger style of upgrade because your boat is WAY too heavy with those Bravo outdrives that have engines with superchargers. The torque comes in like GANG BUSTERS and you will have drive problems for sure! Unless of coarse you upgrade to a much stronger drive over the Bravo One.

I think Ray from Raylar would be good assistance to you on the engine stuff.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got some experience with setting up Whipples on a 400ss Formula. This boat had 500 efi and Bravo 3 X drives. Speed went from upper 50's to mid 60's. We then swapped the B3 for B1 XR drives. We gained a couple of mph with stock props. Then sent the props to Bblades for labbing and ultimately were able to break 70 mph. I can help you with setup and Whipple purchases if you decide to go that way. I've also done several Raylar 496's. I don't think the 525 Raylar kit would meet your goal though. BOth are very dependable. Keep in mind the Whipple requires 91 octane fuel.

Give me a call or email me. Bob 830 6935591 [email protected]
Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Carder
Don't get new props until after you do your HP upgrades. Your current props will give good baseline numbers, and help estimate what final size/ gear ratio will be best. Are you currently using the 2.0/1 gears?

Carder
I am currently running 2.0/1 gear ration on the drives and have a prop pitch of 22....i dont know the prop size, but I have a part number if that is any help.

I am pretty sure the props need to be changed, but not sure to what...any thoughts?

How about the drives? I have seen many ppl talk about the 1.5/1 ratio, but I really have no clue regarding props and drive ratios. If you know of somewhere for me to find some info I'd love to read up about it and get a better idea.

Thanks guys
Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I've got some experience with setting up Whipples on a 400ss Formula. This boat had 500 efi and Bravo 3 X drives. Speed went from upper 50's to mid 60's. We then swapped the B3 for B1 XR drives. We gained a couple of mph with stock props. Then sent the props to Bblades for labbing and ultimately were able to break 70 mph. I can help you with setup and Whipple purchases if you decide to go that way. I've also done several Raylar 496's. I don't think the 525 Raylar kit would meet your goal though. BOth are very dependable. Keep in mind the Whipple requires 91 octane fuel.

Give me a call or email me. Bob 830 6935591 [email protected]

Thanks for the info! You seem to have some great first hand knowledge so I will try to shoot you an e-mail to clear up a few things.

Thanks again
Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Registered

Don't forget these...will help keep those suckas cool.
http://www.driveshowers.com/
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Big Boats - Special Considerations Required !

DeepBlue47

I've got a fair amount of expierence obviously with the 496 engines and Raylar has worked with some customers on large performance boats and cruisers and I might have some good advice and ideas for you if you want to push you BIG-BROAD BEAM- HEAVY BEAUTY a little faster and still have the engines and drives stay in whole condtion over some time!
We've worked with several big boat boaters and shops with Whipple prepped 496's and Raylar HO525-HO600 normally aspirated 496's. There is to much information, thoughts and such to discuss here in detail and how they will ultimatly affect the overall performance of your boat and obviously there are various options for changes and upgrades.
The Whipple supercharger systems are excellent, beautifully engineered and manufactured wonderfully as marine supercharger systems and with the right engine preparation to your engines internals they would produce excellent results if properly set up and dialed in for your boat.

Our Raylar 496 upgrade systems and higher horsepower 496 engines also offer excellent possible upgrade options.

We should however discuss your particular boat, ultimate drive ratios and upgrade options and needs as well as how you will be using and running the boat and what type and quality of fuels you have available in your boating area and what type of budget you're thinking about or have set for this project.

The overall running economy of your boat and boating and what your future possible resale plans may be for the boat, as these will also be affected greatly by your choice of upgrades.

If you would like call me toll free at (866) 496-8181, we can discuss your needs and wishes in greater detail and if Raylar can be of assistance in your investigations and solutions we would be glad to help contribute to a successful outcome for your project.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 02-18-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
DeepBlue47

I've got a fair amount of expierence obviously with the 496 engines and Raylar has worked with some customers on large performance boats and cruisers and I might have some good advice and ideas for you if you want to push you BIG-BROAD BEAM- HEAVY BEAUTY a little faster and still have the engines and drives stay in whole condtion over some time!
We've worked with several big boat boaters and shops with Whipple prepped 496's and Raylar HO525-HO600 normally aspirated 496's. There is to much information, thoughts and such to discuss here in detail and how they will ultimatly affect the overall performance of your boat and obviously there are various options for changes and upgrades.
The Whipple supercharger systems are excellent, beautifully engineered and manufactured wonderfully as marine supercharger systems and with the right engine preparation to your engines internals they would produce excellent results if properly set up and dialed in for your boat.

Our Raylar 496 upgrade systems and higher horsepower 496 engines also offer excellent possible upgrade options.

We should however discuss your particular boat, ultimate drive ratios and upgrade options and needs as well as how you will be using and running the boat and what type and quality of fuels you have available in your boating area and what type of budget you're thinking about or have set for this project.

The overall running economy of your boat and boating and what your future possible resale plans may be for the boat, as these will also be affected greatly by your choice of upgrades.

If you would like call me toll free at (866) 496-8181, we can discuss your needs and wishes in greater detail and if Raylar can be of assistance in your investigations and solutions we would be glad to help contribute to a successful outcome for your project.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Hi Ray,
Thanks for contacting me!
First, I'd like to apologize for such a long delay in my response. I have a lot going on at the moment and I'm afraid online forum's have dropped off a bit.
Anyway, I would like to get in touch with you to discuss some of our options and how we can ultimately reach our end goal. I would love to pick your brain about a few other things like drives, props, ect.

Whats the best way to contact you? Phone? E-Mail? On here?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Need More Speed! (496Ho Content)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.