500 EFI injector cleaning? >

500 EFI injector cleaning?

Notices

500 EFI injector cleaning?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI injector cleaning?

I'm having my valve springs replaced and the mechanic recommended having the injectors "flushed" or "cleaned" as well. Has anyone had this done? How often should they be cleaned? This is purely a prevention thing. I haven't had any problems. I have about 470 hours on the motors.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very good idea,i always have my injectors cleaned and flow checked during a rebuild,not cheap but either is burnt pistons.The injectors have small screans in them and if trash gets thru your filters the injectors won't flow right,the filter on the fuel rail should be changed on a regular basis
Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered

the way we do it on cars is use a pressurized tank and fill it with cleaner. then we disable the fuel pump and let it run on the cleaner. but bg offeres a chemicla called 44k. it does wonders and you just add it to your tank. but you may only want to have about 25 gallons of fuel in your tank or double the dosage. but i can tell you alot of vehicles go their whole life without flushing injectors and run ok. it is a preventitive maintinence upsell.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MDGperformance
A very good idea,i always have my injectors cleaned and flow checked during a rebuild,not cheap but either is burnt pistons.The injectors have small screans in them and if trash gets thru your filters the injectors won't flow right,the filter on the fuel rail should be changed on a regular basis
not to step on your toes sir.... just my opinion but you can definetly have a burned pistion from a bad injector... you can have them stick open also and hydrolock a cylinder. but the flushing is not that intrusive. having them flow checked would give you the ultimate peice of mind.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Best way is to bring to an injector shop that can flow it at the same pressure as in the boat- tell them what the operating psi is, and then try it at a little higher psi, just to make sure they work at those levels. Many times injectors will work just fine at X amount of lower psi, but have issues at the psi's it sees in the real world.

Cleaning is just a smallpart of 'injector service.'
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Default injector service

sleek1 i had my injectors cleaned and flowed last year.i did this when i was rebuilding my 94 502 mpi.i cannot rember the companys name ,but it was in FLA,punta gorta i think.i can get address if you like,let me know.i had 446hrs on the engine and was told buy my engine guy this was a good idea.they give me a chart of how the injectors flowed before and after.i think the labor was about 500.00.that was the shop labor to remove the injectors from the manafold and box and ship them and clean and flow them.did i notice a diffrence?could not really say.hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.injector.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Best way is to bring to an injector shop that can flow it at the same pressure as in the boat- tell them what the operating psi is, and then try it at a little higher psi, just to make sure they work at those levels. Many times injectors will work just fine at X amount of lower psi, but have issues at the psi's it sees in the real world.

Cleaning is just a smallpart of 'injector service.'
SB, I'm having my mechanic do the injector service. I believe he sends them out local and they are cleaned and flowed.

Fountain, thanks for the offer but I'm just going to let my mechanic take care of it. He is very conscientious and I trust him. Not to say "your guy" isn't, it's just a matter of convenience.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Last edited by sleek1; 02-25-2009 at 09:42 PM.