496 Mag HO to Merc 525 EFI >

496 Mag HO to Merc 525 EFI

Notices

496 Mag HO to Merc 525 EFI

Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Sometimes I wish you guys would post your actual situation first in the post! A lot of here on OSO are trying to help and these posts that are "as the plot thickens" are kind of a pain when we are donating our time and expierence to just help OSO'ers. Be considerate to others here on OSO and be informative please.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
No offense Ray, but I don't think his second post has anything to do with what it is he is trying to do. He was just informing us what his reasoning for the upgrade was.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info guys...your right on track on what I have discovered so far comparing both setups looks like I have some wiring issues. The 525 has smartcraft gauges hooked to it and the 496 has analog. So looks like during the switch I'm going to need a AGI digital to analog box to make the analog gauges in the Sunsation work with the 525. Would the 496 allready have the digital hookups for smartcraft allready hanging on them.

Also can anybody tell me where the computer hookup is on the 525EFI with a PCM555 computer. I looked all over and with the computer facing the rear of the engine I am going by feel
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking for the plug for the scan tool? If that's it, it should be on the top of the intake on the port side.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered

Thanks I'll look there tomorrow. Man I looked it over good
Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue242
For the guy reeling on the cam comment, Wonder where these came from? Could they be rated at 525HP... same basic motor structure as a 496 HO, and even the same compression, stroke, piston, displacement. Oh, maybe the valve springs are different. The cam is for sure, not much else... Hmmmmm, oh, wait, someone is reeling, so it can't be true...

A lot cheaper than a blue motor... Obviously the firing order is different than a blue motor 525, so you need the cam with the firing order 18726543... Duration and lift are pretty similar, if not the same...

Did not mean to hijack the thead..
Boy, you really don't have a clue. You are comparing the 496 which gets a cost down on a regular basis to an engine hand built by Mercury Racing to specific tolerances. The Merc engine has better rods, forged pistons, better gaskets, aluminum heads, intake, whole laundry list of better parts and an exhaust system that will handle the cam. You have obviously never been into one if you think you can accomplish all that by a simple cam swap. Maybe you should have told Raylar here about your idea. You could have saved him all that time on the dyno and time building custom parts so he could make a good 525 hp from the 496.

A good while back you slam on Merc and every major engine builder for not being able to build marine engines with a closed loop EFI. You tell everyone that you will pull it off and do it with an M-1 Procharger. Then you build some sort of who knows what. You go take it on a test run with a big junk plastic filter sitting on the front of you engine. You don't even hook up the water on the headers correctly, melt your exhaust hoses and flappers to the extent that it fills your bilge. You dang near sink the boat not to mention if that fire had gotten a little worse and teamed up with that plastic filter. You have to call out for help and pump a bunch of salt water out of your boat. Then you slither off after learning that you really don't know what you are doing.

You proably need to go back to your corner and learn a few things before giving out advice before someone gets hurt or blows up an engine.

Now back to the regularly scheduled event!

Last edited by ZXXX Donzi; 02-28-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

No Offense taken and I was just trying to say that when a performance boater comes on OSO and asks for advice or help it would be nice and greatly appreciated if they would kind of lay out the full details of their question. If you read the first post I would assume that he is talking about taking a 496 out of this one boat and wanted to know if he could install a HP525 in its place. I responded he could with slight mods and he could also consider upgrading his 496 to 525HP. In reading the first post you would also assume he is going out and considering buying a HP525 as a replacement engine. Not so, quite a few posts later he now explains the two boat ownership swap scenario which changes the picture as he would now not be buying another engine, just swapping two engines between two boats. Thats all I am saying here is be curtious by being fully informative as possible with the first question and details of project so all can realize the actual scope of the project. Sorry I ruffled some feathers here I am just trying to be accurate if possible.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Registered

My apologies to all. I was just looking for answers to 4 simple questions. I thought the questions were direct enough but next time I'll be more "considerate". I'm just a dumb boat owner I guess. A big thank you to Redbud for being able to answer my questions. I'm done with this thread
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outlawinil
My apologies to all. I was just looking for answers to 4 simple questions. I thought the questions were direct enough but next time I'll be more "considerate". I'm just a dumb boat owner I guess. A big thank you to Redbud for being able to answer my questions. I'm done with this thread
Your question was not bad and it was considerate. I am sorry that I got a little OT a well. I get a little off base sometimes when I see some bad advice.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Boy, you really don't have a clue. You are comparing the 496 which gets a cost down on a regular basis to an engine hand built by Mercury Racing to specific tolerances. The Merc engine has better rods, forged pistons, better gaskets, aluminum heads, intake, whole laundry list of better parts and an exhaust system that will handle the cam. You have obviously never been into one if you think you can accomplish all that by a simple cam swap. Maybe you should have told Raylar here about your idea. You could have saved him all that time on the dyno and time building custom parts so he could make a good 525 hp from the 496.

A good while back you slam on Merc and every major engine builder for not being able to build marine engines with a closed loop EFI. You tell everyone that you will pull it off and do it with an M-1 Procharger. Then you build some sort of who knows what. You go take it on a test run with a big junk plastic filter sitting on the front of you engine. You don't even hook up the water on the headers correctly, melt your exhaust hoses and flappers to the extent that it fills your bilge. You dang near sink the boat not to mention if that fire had gotten a little worse and teamed up with that plastic filter. You have to call out for help and pump a bunch of salt water out of your boat. Then you slither off after learning that you really don't know what you are doing.

You proably need to go back to your corner and learn a few things before giving out advice before someone gets hurt or blows up an engine.

Now back to the regularly scheduled event!
Dimwit

The 496 is already a marine spec engine. The marine cam and CMI exhaust are readily available all over the place. Compared to the cost of a new Merc Racing motor, The HP3 motor from GM is rated at 525 HP, built to marine specs by Innovation marine, and costs quite a lot less for the same 525HP you get from the Merc motor..

Under your rock, it must surely seem so difficult to swap the cam in the 496 HO for the cam used in the HP3 if it has the same other parts.. Maybe as you live under a rock, you believe all the marketing hype you hear, and read in magazines.. Comp, Crane, and several others already make a cam for the 8100 Vortec motor, and for $300 anyone can have the same cam as an HP3 motor.. As I don't live under a rock, I can clearly see otherwise.

Hey, even Ray @ Raylar told this guy that a Raylayr 525 HP motor costs less than the Merc motor...

Now, if GM/Innovation Marine can build a 496 motor with off the shelf parts and produce 525HP with steel heads, and low tech parts, and that can be had with a warranty, then I have to ask why spend the extra money to rebuild the entire engine from Raylar...

Ray, I have nothing against you, just asking a simple question as you compared your stuff to Merc., I am comparing your stuff to GM/Innovation.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

If you or anyone you where familar with had an actual expierence with the iron headed 496 version from Innovation or any other builder you would realize that the motor had an ugly camshaft in it that had an idle only a "no worry ".boater could live with. This version of a 496 was the only way GMC could have developed the engine at the time to compete with Merc Racing and the HP525 in the factory class racing series. Couple that with the cost of trying to fix the manifold that doesn't work even with a cnc job and the iron heads that also required complete cnc'ing and refit with complete new hardware. Add in the fact that this conversion actually ended up costing as much or more than our kit and you can see why our aluminum head, intake manifold, and idle freiendly cam parts t 100 lbs lighter ended up winning the how can a 496 boater effectivly convert his 496 to 525 reliable horsepower.

No bashing or downplaying on Innovation here, they have a wonderful reputation and history of building great marine performance engines. They are an asset to our industry.

Just explaining why I feel our kits have been so functional and reliable.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Quick Reply: 496 Mag HO to Merc 525 EFI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.